Is it worth waiting for Intel 13th gen processors?

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
I am an owner of a powerful Clevo laptop (€2500) which lasted 4.5 years with a heavy workload. It's starting to have so many problems and I feel it will die any day.

I want to invest in a new laptop for the long-term for work.

My questions are:

1. Is it worth waiting for an Intel 13th gen laptop? Are there any interesting features or noteworthy optimizations?

2. Any idea when they will be available?

Since we have no information on the 13th gen mobile parts yet, it would be pretty hard for anybody to tell you one way or the other. I'd expect to see maybe a ten percent bump in performance on the mobile parts but even that is simply guesswork.

The 12th Gen parts are however come with a nice bump over the 11th Gen mobile (And desktop) parts, and honestly since even the desktop 13th gen parts aren't supposed to be coming for a while yet, it will likely be a few months before we see or know much about the mobile parts that are upcoming, likely not until the end of the year.

If you need something now, I'd say go for something with 12th Gen parts in it as the difference between 12th and 13th gen mobile probably won't be terribly significant and right now or soon, you might be able to find some decent deals on 12th Gen parts as retailers try to offload them in preparation for upcoming 13th gen systems.

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Since we have no information on the 13th gen mobile parts yet, it would be pretty hard for anybody to tell you one way or the other. I'd expect to see maybe a ten percent bump in performance on the mobile parts but even that is simply guesswork.

The 12th Gen parts are however come with a nice bump over the 11th Gen mobile (And desktop) parts, and honestly since even the desktop 13th gen parts aren't supposed to be coming for a while yet, it will likely be a few months before we see or know much about the mobile parts that are upcoming, likely not until the end of the year.

If you need something now, I'd say go for something with 12th Gen parts in it as the difference between 12th and 13th gen mobile probably won't be terribly significant and right now or soon, you might be able to find some decent deals on 12th Gen parts as retailers try to offload them in preparation for upcoming 13th gen systems.

Thank you.

I should add that Clevo uses desktop processors (not mobile).

I am reading many articles that claims Intel 13th gen will release in October. Not sure when Clevo laptops with desktop processors will be available.

I am reading many articles that claims Intel 13th gen will release in October. Not sure when Clevo laptops with desktop processors will be available.
The announcement will probably be in October, it's not an official date just a guess from the industry.
The CPUs could come out a lot later but usually they do come out before the holidays.
If you are out to keep the new laptop as long as the previous I would wait to see the new CPUs, the desktop cpus do come with more e-cores so you will get more computing power at the same price point.

If you have a need now, go ahead and buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

As a rule, new gen parts will deliver about a 15% boost in price/performance.

What is the processor you now have?
Are you looking for an equal replacement, or are you looking for a boost in performance?
Do you have a budget?

One problem with high performance laptops is that their cooling is not so great. If Clevo offers desktop parts in a laptop, pay attention to the cooling capability.
Likely you will want a mobile version of the processor.

Thank you.

I should add that Clevo uses desktop processors (not mobile).
Yes, I realize they do that. It's exactly why their units don't have the lifespans as a lot of other laptops. When you double or triple the TDP of the installed hardware but can't fit cooling in there that is even moderately more capable than any other type of laptop cooling, you can't expect the hardware to have a long life. It's hard enough to keep some of these desktop parts cool in a tower case with big air and liquid cooling, much less in a laptop with tiny heatsinks and fans.

Especially for gaming systems but also for any high end use machine such as CAD, graphic arts, video production, scientific work, etc. as they can see extremely high demand loads just like a gaming system. 4.5 years isn't lasting very long in my opinion. Then again, laptops don't last worth a crap anyhow, even with mobile parts inside, because the cooling is so limited, but certainly more so with desktop parts in the same restricted internal space.

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
I was reading some articles which claimed multi-threaded benchmarks have a 40% increase in performance.

I don't know how did they run the benchmark though.

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Yes, I realize they do that. It's exactly why their units don't have the lifespans as a lot of other laptops. When you double or triple the TDP of the installed hardware but can't fit cooling in there that is even moderately more capable than any other type of laptop cooling, you can't expect the hardware to have a long life. It's hard enough to keep some of these desktop parts cool in a tower case with big air and liquid cooling, much less in a laptop with tiny heatsinks and fans.

Especially for gaming systems but also for any high end use machine such as CAD, graphic arts, video production, scientific work, etc. as they can see extremely high demand loads just like a gaming system. 4.5 years isn't lasting very long in my opinion. Then again, laptops don't last worth a crap anyhow, even with mobile parts inside, because the cooling is so limited, but certainly more so with desktop parts in the same restricted internal space.

Yeah, I know. My laptop body is physically breaking now esp areas around the fan because of the heating.

I am fine with 4.5 years life. I can't buy a desktop because of portability issue, so I am happy with a laptop that last 4 years while using 8 hours/day.

Also I want to add these laptop reduce the processor TDP to much lower. Also some of them introduced a water cooling system. Not sure if it's any good. https://bestware.com/en/xmg-neo-15-intel-e22.html (XMG OASIS ready)

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Based on what I read, 13th gen will be released in Jan and laptop will be available from Mar 2023.

So I end up order a laptop with 12700H today. 12900H seemed bit over-pricey for price:performance ratio.

Actually, Intel's unlocked desktop parts and it's 13th Gen mobile parts are supposed to release this coming month. October 7th or thereabouts in fact. Only the locked desktop parts and lower end chipsets are supposed to release sometime in January. So you might have shot yourself in the foot a little bit but honestly the difference probably isn't going to be earth shattering especially for mobile parts so what you got is probably not going to be a major disappointment compared to what's coming, but then again, we really don't know because Intel has been especially tight lipped about the upcoming parts compared to normal.

VarunAgw

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Clevo uses desktop parts.

There is no guarantee it will release in October. Then I also have to wait for Clevo resellers to start shipping them. I think it will be 3 months from now on at minimum

You said above you were looking at non-Clevo solutions, like the one at bestware.com you linked to, so I just assumed you had moved on from Clevo. But regardless, so long as you got what you need that is all that matters.