Question Is it worth waiting for the RTX 4070 Super ?

Dec 27, 2023
Hello dear community,

I am looking to upgrade my system and I am thinking about the RTX 4070 as I am using the Nvenc codec in OBS for streaming. The question now is should I wait for the release of the RTX 4070 Super? Is it worth waiting for it's launch?

Thanks for the answers and happy holidays!

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
I am in a similar situation myself and I personally think it is worth waiting at this stage to see what the pricing comes in at. There should be a decent performance uplift but as its Nvidia I have no idea what they will do with the pricing!

The 20 series had this exact same challenge and I held out for a 2070 super which turned out to be the right decision. It seems the 4070 and 4070 super will co-exist from what I am reading but the official announcement is very close so I would hold fire if you can.

Reactions: MartinH79

General_Cool

Distinguished
Its only a few days away, and from nVidia's hype, its looking like the cards will be very nice upgrades over the non-super models. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you bought a normal 4070.

Edit: sorry for the necro :/

Reactions: Why_Me

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Its only a few days away, and from nVidia's hype, its looking like the cards will be very nice upgrades over the non-super models. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you bought a normal 4070.

Edit: sorry for the necro :/

That would depend on the power requirements. The 4070 only requires a single 8-pin connector. The Super will likely require two connectors. It was the same with the 2070 and 2070 Super. Some factory overclocked 4070 cards might require two connectors, but most reference cards, and cards with only mild overclocks won't. The point is, that if your PSU can't handle the extra power requirements, then the non Super 4070 is going to be your best option.

That would depend on the power requirements. The 4070 only requires a single 8-pin connector. The Super will likely require two connectors. It was the same with the 2070 and 2070 Super. Some factory overclocked 4070 cards might require two connectors, but most reference cards, and cards with only mild overclocks won't. The point is, that if your PSU can't handle the extra power requirements, then the non Super 4070 is going to be your best option.