Is it worthwhile?

ex_operator

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
I want to start a career in IT, working towards cyber security. Ive just started a compTIA bundle which includes > compTIA a+, networking+, security+, advanced security, mobility and cloud essentials. Are these certs going to benefit me getting a start in IT as I do not have any working experience as I'm changing careers from construction.
I'm am also going to be doing an ethical hacking course and cyber security course after this bundle.
Any advice would be greatly accepted.

Solution
And develop the habit of reading the "help wanted"/employment ads in your area. Get a sense of what levels of education (degrees, certifications) and experience are being sought. Tends to evolve and many ads tend to be quite comprehensive. May cover multiple "titles". Not uncommon in smaller companies but also a way to provide more flexibility in picking a candidate.

And take advantage of your construction experience. Construction companies need IT staff as well to support project planning and management. Always a plus if you know the business - one way or another.

Keep applying. Get more interviews and interview experience. You may not get the immediate job for any number of reasons. However, two things: 1)the "first" guy...

Is this a college course that includes these certifications, or will you only be getting the certifications?

ex_operator

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

Well... Hmm...

You'd be over certified for small repair shops, so I doubt they'd hire you. You'd also be under qualified for the IT departments of large companies.

Your best bet with these certs may be to get in to a PC repair shop while you're studying (unless you're starting off knowing nothing about IT), then look for a new job as you get closer to completing the courses.

Either way, it seems like a hard way to go about it.

That being said, some colleges will let you skip the more basic courses when they see you have certs. This may lower your tuition (depending on the college), and you may walk out with a good degree in less time. But this would be after spending the money for the books or online courses then paying to go get tested for your certs.

ex_operator

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

ex_operator

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
truth be told I'm only just getting into the IT world as I've concentrated on my work and providing for my family.
Do all these certs mean nothing without work placement experience. Can i not teach myself without the 'college ' degree? How many years experience would I need for a decent position in cyber security?

IT is a hard field to get in to without already knowing your stuff.

You're not going to get a cyber security job as your first job in IT unless you do like 8 years of college before entering the IT field.

You'll need to start somewhere simpler, say virus removal at a local shop. Cyber security is a high goal and I hope you achieve it, but be aware that it's near the top of the ladder and it'll take time to climb that high.

ex_operator

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

Beyond entry level IT support (My mouse doesn't work, I don't know what a bookmark is, Of course I checked to see if it was plugged in!(it isn't)) The certs won't help you much until you get workplace experience or a college degree in computer science/engineering. IT needs experience and certs for higher end stuff. A cert is good combined with workplace experience. A College degree helps you get your foot in the door of the field you want a bit better, as it takes years to earn and that is considered the equivalent of workplace experience.

From some of the howlers coming out of IT departments over the years, I would say go ahead with the course you mentioned above and let that qualification get you a job. The paperwork shows you have the ability to apply yourself to learning, even if it isn't the precise course for some of the work, and that impresses employers.

On the job will be where the real learning starts and it could lead to a degree course sponsored by your employer if they value you enough to keep you on their staff.

That's the way things work in the UK but wait until someone from your country comes back with a better idea.

ex_operator

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

ex_operator

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Thanks Saga, it's good to know that I'm not doing these courses to get turned away at every job because I didn't do college or uni. I have a strong work ethic and discipline which is more than some teenager fresh outta college has. Plus I need to make my career work as I have a family to provide for. Just need to get studying and learn all I can. Cheers.

Ralston18

Titan
And develop the habit of reading the "help wanted"/employment ads in your area. Get a sense of what levels of education (degrees, certifications) and experience are being sought. Tends to evolve and many ads tend to be quite comprehensive. May cover multiple "titles". Not uncommon in smaller companies but also a way to provide more flexibility in picking a candidate.

And take advantage of your construction experience. Construction companies need IT staff as well to support project planning and management. Always a plus if you know the business - one way or another.

Keep applying. Get more interviews and interview experience. You may not get the immediate job for any number of reasons. However, two things: 1)the "first" guy may not work out, and 2) you may get called back for another opportunity. Good impressions do count.

Solution