Is java portable safe?

mangaman

Honorable
I'm looking to run java files on my pc, but the thing is I don't want to install Java as it has A LOT of security vulnerability's. People have suggested Java Portable as you can run it on a USB flash drive and doesn't install on your actual computer. My question is, is it safe and does it have a good reputation? Has anyone at tom's Hardware used it? Thanks.

You'll have to rely on reputation of unknown guy / girl who have made this "portable" version (as Oracle does not makes one).

OTOH, this "portable" version is made from same files "installed" version comes with, so it contains same bugs / feautures as the version it is based on, so you will gain nothing here. Just having Java installed will not compromise your system (as long as you don't execute every Java applet you will see lurking on the web page with these.... beauties).

There are open-sources JVMs you might try as well. And as long as I like Java as much as I like going to a dentist, it's security is much better than what it used to be.

mangaman

Honorable

Thanks for the feed back. I will further look into the java portable program. The website PortableApps.com does have a very good reputation and does offer other portable programs, other than java.