[SOLVED] Is just my RAM wasted or is it also the Motherboard?

Aug 17, 2019
Hey Guys, this is my first topic here. I recently rebuild my PC because my graphics card burned out. ( This PC is about 5 years old and Motherboard, RAM and Core were never changed) Since then, or maybe before i have gotten several Blue Screens of Death. After some Analysis i ran a Memtest today checking for Errors.

I am currently at 280(!) Errors for 4/4 Slots.

At this stage i am wondering if its just the RAM causing problems or is it even bigger issues.

I will try to link a full parallel-report and also an sequential one combined. Memtest86

Ps: Sorry for spelling mistakes, still learning english.

Solution
You can refer to various tier lists such as https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/ - they're not perfect, but a damn good reference. Basically stick to Tier B up - and even then, aim above tier B if you can.

Are all of your RAM modules from the same pack?
I'd still be tempted to remove all bar 1 of the modules and see what memtest does, it's unlikely that all 4 go faulty unless something caused them to become faulty. Just to make sure you cover all ground before having to buy or replace parts!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is your PSU make and model? Do you know why exactly your GPU burnt out? If it was caused by the PSU, then it could easily damage the MB too.

What BSOD are you encountering?

When running memtest, it's best to remove all bar 1 RAM module and retest, then swap for another module, then you can identify which RAM module is the culprit. Memtest also technically does a basic CPU cache check, but if it encounters an error there, it can't differentiate whether it was the RAM or the CPU. So you'll want to retest with each module to see if you can narrow down the problem.

What RAM modules specifically are you using?

Aug 17, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is your PSU make and model? Do you know why exactly your GPU burnt out? If it was caused by the PSU, then it could easily damage the MB too.

What BSOD are you encountering?

When running memtest, it's best to remove all bar 1 RAM module and retest, then swap for another module, then you can identify which RAM module is the culprit. Memtest also technically does a basic CPU cache check, but if it encounters an error there, it can't differentiate whether it was the RAM or the CPU. So you'll want to retest with each module to see if you can narrow down the problem.

What RAM modules specifically are you using?

I don't know the exact model of my PSU, it's from be quiet from round about 2014, might be 550.
I actually dont know if it was possible to be caused by the PSU, some friends told me it would be more then enough then what im running.

My BSOD today was: png

Problem right now is, that all 4 Ramslots seem corrupted what means i dont have any to run a 'clean' Memtest for anything =(

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you have the actual dump file? I tend to avoid using Bluescreen and Whocrashed.
some friends told me it would be more then enough then what im running.
Quantity is different to quality and quantity is nothing without quality. It's a common misconception that "it has enough wattage, therefore it's good enough". Not saying it is this, but just wondering why your GPU burnt out, and commonly it's because of a faulty PSU.

that all 4 Ramslots seem corrupted what means i dont have any to run a 'clean' Memtest for anything =(
Yes but what I'm saying is memtest won't necessarily differentiate between which slot. I have seen it say all slots are faulty, when all are populated. What do you mean ramslots are corrupted and dont have any to run a clean memtest?

Aug 17, 2019
What do you mean ramslots are corrupted and dont have any to run a clean memtest?
I thought i need a definitly working one to run the test but you say i should just switch the 'corrupted' ones?
Do you have the actual dump file? I tend to avoid using Bluescreen and Whocrashed.

alright

So you strongly recommend getting a new PSU? Is there any that will work no matter how big or small my required energy is?

And i forgot: My GPU died when i was at work and my girlfriend played a videogame called 'Hearthstone' with some addons and Youtube in Background. It was also about 4-5 years old.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So you strongly recommend getting a new PSU?
No, I'm just trying to deduce if the PSU potentially caused the GPU problem, if you don't know what the GPU problem was caused by, it could have been the PSU - especially if it's poor quality. It's just something to consider.

I thought i need a definitly working one to run the test but you say i should just switch the 'corrupted' ones?
Again, the likelihood of all RAM modules being faulty is unlikely, what RAM modules do you have installed exactly?

Aug 17, 2019
No, I'm just trying to deduce if the PSU potentially caused the GPU problem, if you don't know what the GPU problem was caused by, it could have been the PSU - especially if it's poor quality. It's just something to consider.

Ok if it is likely and i didn't have the money to buy a very good one then, is there any way to filter for a realy good one or one that can handle a gaming pc in a proper way in your experience?

what RAM modules do you have installed exactly?

DDR4; 16 GByte - 4 each; Dual Channels; NB Frequenzy round 3.600 MHz
15-15-15-36 Clocks DRAM Frequenzy ~ 1060 MHz

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can refer to various tier lists such as https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/ - they're not perfect, but a damn good reference. Basically stick to Tier B up - and even then, aim above tier B if you can.

Are all of your RAM modules from the same pack?
I'd still be tempted to remove all bar 1 of the modules and see what memtest does, it's unlikely that all 4 go faulty unless something caused them to become faulty. Just to make sure you cover all ground before having to buy or replace parts!

Solution
Aug 17, 2019
Aight, ill try.
May take alot of time and i will be back tomorrow...maybe?
Thanks for your time.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Aug 17, 2019
Ok, so...

I tested all 4 RAM (i used only Hammer Test since it lets me know soonest if there is an error) and after only 1 managed to cause no errors, the second time it also failed =(
I switched Slots and RAM and tried solo and together... nothing changed, got errors.

The two things that make me wonder are: how the heck killed it all of them and second: its always 'CPU 0' that is the one mentioned in the error code, but cores are not corrupted, right?