[SOLVED] Is kapton tape necessary and best repasting method on rectangle cpu?

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Hello,

I'm repasting my cpu and gpu on my laptop and have noticed kapton tape around both cpu/gpu. Is kapton tape necessary for when repasting? I researched and read that it's meant to protect the surrounding if you use liquid metal but I have read other opinions as well, so I'm not so sure.

Also my cpu is rectangle, what would be the best method to apply the thermal paste? For the gpu, it's a square so I'll do the dot method. For the cpu, would the line method be the best?

P.s. I'll be using Arctic mx-4 for the repasting job.

Thank you in advance,

Solution
Hello,

I'm repasting my cpu and gpu on my laptop and have noticed kapton tape around both cpu/gpu. Is kapton tape necessary for when repasting? I researched and read that it's meant to protect the surrounding if you use liquid metal but I have read other opinions as well, so I'm not so sure.

Also my cpu is rectangle, what would be the best method to apply the thermal paste? For the gpu, it's a square so I'll do the dot method. For the cpu, would the line method be the best?

Thank you in advance,
It's not only for liquid metal, many pastes are also conducive due to metallic particles and tape also stops paste from running over. If you use non metallic paste and are very...
Hello,

Thank you in advance,
It's not only for liquid metal, many pastes are also conducive due to metallic particles and tape also stops paste from running over. If you use non metallic paste and are very careful when applying paste you may not need it. Arctic mx-4 is fine and non metallic.
Method of applying paste is less important as long as you put just enough paste without overflowing it.

Reactions: Jmusic88
Solution

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
It's not only for liquid metal, many pastes are also conducive due to metallic particles and tape also stops paste from running over. If you use non metallic paste and are very careful when applying paste you may not need it. Arctic mx-4 is fine and non metallic.
Method of applying paste is less important as long as you put just enough paste without overflowing it.
Awesome thanks.

Did it yesterday. Cpu under full load while gaming used to top up at 85C, its 81-80 C now. While the GPU was at 86C and now it tops at 80C. Biggest improvement was on the GPU which I'm ok with. Max on the GPU is 90C while the Tj on the CPU is 105C.

Thanks again,