Is lapping, or sanding, your CPU and/or heatsink advisable in any situation?

Whitunga

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I want to OC an Intel Core i7 5930k to 4.25 GHz using a Corsair H115i (because I'm scared of custom loops. Eeek!) and I would like to know if lapping your CPU and/or heatsink really works or if it is just a gimmick.

I first came across it on http://us.hardware.info and their tutorial seems very indepth and well put together; but I don't know if shaving off 7 measly degrees is really worth all of the hassle, and not to mention, risk.

Thanks all, Whitunga

Solution
I would say no, especially on a nice new chip like that. I would not do such a thing without a milling machine and a grinder bit, as sanding it by hand is likely to leave a less than level surface.
Lapping a CPU heat spreader voids it's warranty that is the biggest negative of all!

I have to disagree with Robert Cook's statement above, however to his credit he did say he would not do it.

A perfectly flat lapped surface can easily be achieved, If, you know what you are doing and lap on a true flat surface like a sheet of glass, that's what I use when I lap a surface.

Whitunga, the link you provided shows exactly how it is done so you already have that resource, I advise you in the future not to choose a best answer with the first responder or you may miss some needed input as many here at Toms only respond to unanswered questions.

Reactions: bit_user

lodders

Admirable

The purpose of thermal paste is to smooth out the roughness. Therefore lapping will have only a small effect.

cswann

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Never lap a new CPU...give it 3-6 months in your machine to verify that you have a good chip.
After that time if you feel like another few degrees off the operating temps is needed to stabilize an aggressive overclock, I say do it.
A lot of modders believe that a mirror polish is needed but I disagree. Removing the aluminum and getting to the copper underneath will give you pretty much all the benefit you're going to get. Since we use thermally conductive paste it's not necessary to have two perfectly flat and polished surfaces mated together.