Question Is Light Network Acitivity Normal When Idle ?

speeed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I have a Windows 10 machine with a wired Ethernet connection to a Comcast router. When idle there is some very minor fluctuating network activity; upload read 0 - 1500 bytes/s while downloads fluctuate to about the same amount. Is this normal for an idle connection?

If you leave a web browser open it is very common for advertising to constantly load. Adblockers are a good way to slow this down.

It is pretty easy to see what is going on. Load wireshark and capture the traffic. You will then be able to see what IP addresses the data is going to.

speeed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
If you leave a web browser open it is very common for advertising to constantly load. Adblockers are a good way to slow this down.

It is pretty easy to see what is going on. Load wireshark and capture the traffic. You will then be able to see what IP addresses the data is going to.

Thanks for the Wireshark tip. I have tried a few other monitoring programs, but I have yet to fully explore them. What led me to this question is that I have a situation where my Service Host process is using approximately 20% of my idle CPU power. I have just begun to explore this issue and from what I understand network traffic could be a clue. As good as I am with good old fashion hardware, dos, windows, components, etc. I have minimal networking understanding. Well, I understand the process and concepts, but not the nitty-gritty. With that in mind, I plan to do some of my own "learning" before I ask for more advice.

Thanks for the tip, and for taking the time to respond. you may hear from me again!