Is Linux Good??

G

I have Vista 32 bit on my 8 year old pc (bought it when vista was new). Is Linux better to use, i usually surf the web, but i also play games though. Even if my PC is old, its pretty powerful, but vista is feeling slow, clean install wont help, and i dont wanna buy a new OS. I dont know annything about Linux, so correct me if im wrong. (Sorry for my bad English)

Solution
Lynux has virtually no games, some are supported but i think most of them are fairly new, i use a linux in the university to write in latex and other stuff, i also surf the web and there aren't many problems with that, but yeah games is a no-go, and i don't want to promote piracy so...i guess my answer is over...

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Lynux has virtually no games, some are supported but i think most of them are fairly new, i use a linux in the university to write in latex and other stuff, i also surf the web and there aren't many problems with that, but yeah games is a no-go, and i don't want to promote piracy so...i guess my answer is over...

Solution

randomizer

Champion
The gaming situation is improving (particularly for Valve's games), but it's still well behind Windows and that is going to be the case for a long time. However, even if games were not an issue you shouldn't switch to Linux without expecting it to behave very differently to Windows. If you dive in head first hoping for a free copy of Vista that's lighter on the system you'll be running back within a day.

ftball

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
I disagree with current answer. Linux has plenty of games. Any game that runs on 8 year pc with vista will also run trough wine. I myself enjoy older games, such as Warcraft 2,3, Heroes 4, Disciples 2. Warcrafts run the same on Win7, 8, and Ubuntu. H4and D2 run much much faster on Ubuntu.

Not true. For example, FSX doesn't run properly using Wine. Some games may run with varying degrees of success; the only way to be sure is to try on your particular system.

Games playing via Wine is not the smooth, easy experience that you get with real Windows.