Question Is LLF dangerous and necessary my hdd?

May 26, 2019
Hello, I am using WD 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD .My HDD has sounded weird last few days and has slowed down.I did error and health scan with HDTune, PartitionGuru and Crystaldisk. There aren't any error or bad sectors.Results are as in the appendix. Do I need LLF and is it dangerous? Thank you and sorry for my bad english.
9ifzme.jpg

15dvw9u.png

24bkv9g.png

14deome.png

30jp4sm.png

LLF from HDDGURU is a low-level formatting utility for securely erasing all data from an HDD to the extent that the data cannot be recovered. It is not relevant to your problem.

Please be more specific as to what you mean by "sounds weird"?

A short recording of the sound might prove useful if you can't describe it.

May 26, 2019
LLF from HDDGURU is a low-level formatting utility for securely erasing all data from an HDD to the extent that the data cannot be recovered. It is not relevant to your problem.

Under stress its sound is "wuw-wu-wuw" :): https://vocaroo.com/i/s0bsaSx3KTIa

And whether or not under pressure, always there is a sound like " niiii" : https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Onsrw76Ynu (i know its hard to hear with fan noise,sorry for this)

I know that SATA HDDs works louder but these weird sounds had never been before and it very slowed down especially while was starting windows or any application.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019

Is WD own low level format utility is same thing as HDDGuru's utility ?

True Low Level Formatting hasn't been possible since the early days of IDE. All that "LLF" tools do nowadays is to erase the drive by writing zeros or some other data pattern to every sector. If the SMART report shows Current Pending sectors, then these will be rewritten and retested. If the test fails, then spare sectors will be reassigned to the failing LBAs. The SMART Reallocated Sector Count will then be updated.

Drive stress tests often cause very wild swings in head activity over the entire surface media, and does not sound 'normal'...; you won't 'fix' it with any utility.

If the drive passes GsmartControl short test, get on to using it... if you don't like the scratchy/crunchy sounds that come from spinning drives during heavy read/write activity, a 1 TB Corsair MX500 SSD is $119....