[SOLVED] Is loud coil whine OK

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
I'd just run it with the cooler off.

tenor.gif

(Yes, I'm kidding.)
Yup. I put my fingers on the fan center stopping them, and the noise doesnt change at all.

The psu seems quiet. I just stuck my ear to the psu fan and there's just a slight hum of it spinning.
I might call sapphire and see what they say. I doubt they will help me without a warranty tho.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The first one, "paused whine", sounds a bit like a whine to me and it changes in pitch, like whines do with varying load on GPU.

The second one though is too constant for a whine unless the scene/camera in the game was stationary and card load didn't really vary?

I also wanted to say a fan can be a possible culprit too but as Darkbreeze mentioned it and you said you checked, that one is moot.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah those are cool parts. They are buck gates and low/high MOSFETs and diode all packed into a package also do current sensing and each can handle 40 amps. So 5 phases and 5 of those means that GPU of yours can get up to 200 amps!

I think the only nitro+ with higher is the Strix which has 3555 each of which can handle 60 amps.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
BTW, I forgot to mention about the whine.

Since you opened the cooler and back plate I've seen whine getting better or worse by tightening or loosening the screws on the pack plate and heat sink/cooler assembly. More or less pressure might disrupt the harmonics of the oscillation therefore reduce the noise a bit.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Coil whine is almost always not a problem and does no damage to the components. Caps hissing must be taken seriously as it's warning that the cap is going to blow soon. No worries with coil whine.

If it was intact I wouldn't touch it but since you already opened the cooler and back plate up I would try tightening or loosing the back plate or cooler screws a very very small amount to see if it changes the whine. So small a change that does not change the proximity of the card/cooler to avoid imapcing the whole cooling process of course.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I just remembered something that's relative to the whine issue. You can try and see if this happens we can know this is a tool that might work in some cases to identify whether the noise user hears is a coil whine from GPU.

Only thing that has made my card whine is some 3D demos/tests that come with the GPU Caps Viewer by Geek3D. You can get the latest portable version from here and see if they make your card whine too. It'd be worth experimenting I guess.

If you like get the software and I'll check on my desktop later to see which demos it was.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Did you try it?

Mine is quite audible in GeexLab demos OpenGL 4.0 Tessellation v3 v2 ad v1 in smaller window size.

If I maximise it it goes really silent or I'm not able to hear it anymore.

On the rest it's almost nothing or nothing at all.

Now that you mention it I'm not sure whether the whine is coming from GPU or PSU. I'd have to check closely later.

Edit: Noticed something else. Their previous version as soon as you closed the demo/test window GPU and VRAM clock would jump back to idle but with the new version you have to go to other tan in GPU Caps viewer or close it altogether.