Question Is Low Frequency Protection Windows setting gone?

Pseudoscience888

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
It's an audio high-pass filter which used to be listed in the Enhancements tab of my audio device Properties but has suddenly disappeared and been replaced with three new options that don't seem to do what I need. Was this feature eliminated in an update? I've googled it and keep ending up down rabbit holes I don't have time for with confusing information which seems to suggest it still exists and for some reason has disappeared only from my system.

It's presented as protection for smaller speakers and headphones so they're not blown by full sound output, but I use it to isolate sound in my small apartment to not bother neighbors. My stereo system is too big for this place and I used the high-pass filter on my computer output because turning the bass all the way down on my receiver still doesn't cut all the low frequencies that travel through the building even though I can't hear when sitting in front of the speakers. I'll get up and go to the kitchen and hear booming and know it is also making it into my neighbor's bedroom. Bass travels through walls much easier than higher frequecies. The filter cut all frequecies below a selectable threshold which I set to 100hz and it worked beautifully. It seems to have been replaced with a system for routing frequencies to their proper speakers but that doesn't help me and I am now facing having to wear headphones and I really don't like wearing headphones.

It's a Skylake era homebuilt gaming tower with a GTX1060 outputting sound through HDMI into a Yamaha receiver feeding thirty year old Pioneer tower speakers with four 8" woofers between them, and video from the receiver into a Sony television. I've already got the speakers on expensive sound isolating stands to limit transmission through the floor. I don't want to buy new speakers because I hope to be moving back into a house soon.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Which version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

Perhaps see if this guide alleviates your issue though the guide is for Realtek based audio solutions and I myself moved away from Realtek(which I know had the option in the Enhancements tab) to a Creative 3Di solution on my EVGA Z97 Stinger board.

It's a Skylake era homebuilt gaming tower with a GTX1060 outputting sound through HDMI into a Yamaha receiver feeding thirty year old Pioneer tower speakers with four 8" woofers between them, and video from the receiver into a Sony television.
That's a nice setup...sir! ;)

Reactions: Pseudoscience888

Pseudoscience888

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
Which version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with?

Perhaps see if this guide alleviates your issue though the guide is for Realtek based audio solutions and I myself moved away from Realtek(which I know had the option in the Enhancements tab) to a Creative 3Di solution on my EVGA Z97 Stinger board.

It's a Skylake era homebuilt gaming tower with a GTX1060 outputting sound through HDMI into a Yamaha receiver feeding thirty year old Pioneer tower speakers with four 8" woofers between them, and video from the receiver into a Sony television.
That's a nice setup...sir! ;)
Thanks. I research before making purchases and a lot of planning when into the system and it has paid off in many years of excellent performance and minimal problems, most of which were caused by me or Microsoft.

Windows 10 Home 19043.1826

I tried what the guide said systematicaly for every realtec and nvidia driver in the list and none of it worked. Nor did restoring the original versions. Thanks for trying :)

Pseudoscience888

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
Welcome!

You seem to have updates pending for your OS. I'd try and see if reinstalling the audio and display drivers(after using DDU) helps bring the functionality back.
You mean a third party app? I'm not able to go down that rabbit hole at the moment, but I did just update Windows and Geforce Experience with still no luck.

Lutfij

Titan
The third party app is to remove the GPU(and audio) drivers prep work for reinstalling the latest GPU drivers. What you're experiencing can be one of two things;
1| Microsoft have removed the option entirely or they moved it around onto another area of settings
or
2| Your OS is corrupt and it went missing during one of your prior updates until you caught wind of it.

So... :/

Reactions: Pseudoscience888

Pseudoscience888

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2015
The third party app is to remove the GPU(and audio) drivers prep work for reinstalling the latest GPU drivers. What you're experiencing can be one of two things;
1| Microsoft have removed the option entirely or they moved it around onto another area of settings
or
2| Your OS is corrupt and it went missing during one of your prior updates until you caught wind of it.

So... :/
Got it. I will give it a try but am going to wait a few days. I'm finishing up a major project under a time crunch and don't want to risk messing up the computer before. Not too long ago I was in a similar position when Windows Update rendered it unbootable and I had to recover the project files from my Carbonite backup which took a few days. But I will definitely give this a try. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS