is m.2 better than original ssd?

Nikolas048

Prominent
May 31, 2017
hi guys i have 2 questions. first of all, there are different types of m.2 ( type 2242, 2260, 2280)
what is the difference?

also i have noticed that there is a much higher read speed in the m.2. so should i take a small small m.2 to boot windows from there? please explain in easy english haha
i also have an asus prime b350-plus.

Solution
The differences in the type of M.2 is the length from the contacts to the end with the notch for the screw. The reason that M.2 has much higher read/write is because the access to the M.2 is not limited by the SATA protocol. M.2 can have the full bandwidth of PCIe x4. That puts the bottleneck back on the storage device and not the interface. That is why you see variation in maximum read rates of M.2 devices. The device is the limit and not the interface.

If you look at page 1-1 of your motherboard user manual, your first question is answered by looking at the M.2 socket (near the Asus logo).

kanewolf

Titan
The differences in the type of M.2 is the length from the contacts to the end with the notch for the screw. The reason that M.2 has much higher read/write is because the access to the M.2 is not limited by the SATA protocol. M.2 can have the full bandwidth of PCIe x4. That puts the bottleneck back on the storage device and not the interface. That is why you see variation in maximum read rates of M.2 devices. The device is the limit and not the interface.

If you look at page 1-1 of your motherboard user manual, your first question is answered by looking at the M.2 socket (near the Asus logo).

Solution