[SOLVED] Is market of pc speakers dying?

Filip_35

Commendable
Aug 2, 2017
Just curious. When I look for pc speakers in any stores, all I see is very small amount of new speakers cca up to 15 pages (on amazon it's 22 pages, but the models are repeating and there are some that don't look as branded). Back in 2008 when I looked for PC speakers in ANY stores I remember finding maybe more than 200 pages of different pc speakers and the mid range (price) of 2008 speakers was as good as high range nowadays(if I remember correctly). Nowadays there are no 7.1 systems, still less and less companies are producing pc speakers and from those which are produced maybe 50% have just bad or non existent mid frequencies. I can say, that I know 80% of pc speakers in today's market in terms how they sound. Even Creative, which produced many many pc speakers now produces bluetooth speakers or soundbar for tvs rather than pc speakers(they have 8 actual and still manufactured models, 2 are with subwoofer, only one is 5.1 and there is no 7.1 system). What happened? Is the market of pc speakers dying? If yes, why? Will it probably be sometimes as it was back in those old days?
Thanks for all answers on this probably useless question.

Solution
I think high quality audio equipment in general has declined in popularity, from the people I know and my own observations the majority of consumers care more about size, looks, connectivity than the actual sound quality. The stuff that is considered high end in a lot of people’s eyes is very average quality. I remember 20 years ago having 3 different shops near us you could go and listen to audio equipment before buying, today there is nowhere near me.

kanewolf

Titan
Just curious. When I look for pc speakers in any stores, all I see is very small amount of new speakers cca up to 15 pages (on amazon it's 22 pages, but the models are repeating and there are some that don't look as branded). Back in 2008 when I looked for PC speakers in ANY stores I remember finding maybe more than 200 pages of different pc speakers and the mid range (price) of 2008 speakers was as good as high range nowadays(if I remember correctly). Nowadays there are no 7.1 systems, still less and less companies are producing pc speakers and from those which are produced maybe 50% have just bad or non existent mid frequencies. I can say, that I know 80% of pc speakers in today's market in terms how they sound. Even Creative, which produced many many pc speakers now produces bluetooth speakers or soundbar for tvs rather than pc speakers(they have 8 actual and still manufactured models, 2 are with subwoofer, only one is 5.1 and there is no 7.1 system). What happened? Is the market of pc speakers dying? If yes, why? Will it probably be sometimes as it was back in those old days?
I think the use of large screen TV coupled with the home theater systems they are connected to has greatly reduced demand.

Reactions: Filip_35
I think high quality audio equipment in general has declined in popularity, from the people I know and my own observations the majority of consumers care more about size, looks, connectivity than the actual sound quality. The stuff that is considered high end in a lot of people’s eyes is very average quality. I remember 20 years ago having 3 different shops near us you could go and listen to audio equipment before buying, today there is nowhere near me.

Reactions: Filip_35
Solution

Surround sound PC speakers were never very popular, it's just not easy to setup 5 speakers around a computer desk for more people. If you are looking for 5.1 or 7.1 setup you would have to check on the home theater setups and just connect that to the computer. Also keep in mind that stores in general have changed, most you go do will not have a selection of good audio, just the big brands like Sony, Beats, etc... Also a lot of people consume media off a phone or tablet with which they often use cheap earbuds. A lot of the people that like good sound go with a powered speaker or studio monitor setup, Edifier, Swan, JBL, those types of setups.