is masterwatt better than seasonic s12ii ?

Sep 17, 2018
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
according to this list the Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 230V (ErP 2013) 700W PSU would be a better psu than the Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 230V (ErP 2013) 700W PSU
MW is tier3 While SS is tier 4, is this list reliable ? also does a 1 tier difference be noticeable? which one would perform better (dont care about efficiency)

My build

AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard
Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB AMP Edition Video Card

probably wont OC at all

Solution
That is probably the worst PSU list ever made. Literally. No exaggeration, fifty times worse than the old Newegg list or the one we had here for so long.

No, the Masterwatt lite is in no way better than the S12II, except that it is a newer design. I'd take an S12II or M12II over all but maybe one or two Cooler master PSU model lines ever made.

The only real drawback of the S12II units is the fact that it is an older design, which is group regulated. At one time it was one of the best units you could purchase.

The Masterwatt lite unit is so mediocre that neither JonnyGuru, Tom's Hardware, Hardware Secrets, HardOCP or any other REALLY trustworthy PSU reviewers have featured reviews of it. That's either because it's a foregone...
That is probably the worst PSU list ever made. Literally. No exaggeration, fifty times worse than the old Newegg list or the one we had here for so long.

No, the Masterwatt lite is in no way better than the S12II, except that it is a newer design. I'd take an S12II or M12II over all but maybe one or two Cooler master PSU model lines ever made.

The only real drawback of the S12II units is the fact that it is an older design, which is group regulated. At one time it was one of the best units you could purchase.

The Masterwatt lite unit is so mediocre that neither JonnyGuru, Tom's Hardware, Hardware Secrets, HardOCP or any other REALLY trustworthy PSU reviewers have featured reviews of it. That's either because it's a foregone conclusion that the unit is piss poor or Cooler Master is too worried about how bad the reviews would be if Oklahoma Wolf or Aris were to review it.

How that list, that is horrific, could place it ANYWHERE on the list, without a reputable review, just goes to show how worthless that list, and the whole site really, is.

How much is your budget for a PSU and what country are you in?

Solution
That list is like throwing sh$% at the wall, and seeing what sticks. There is no rhyme or reason for the placement of anything on it, except maybe cost. I think they likely loaded up PCPP with the most commonly available units and then ranked them according to what they cost with a few wildcards thrown in for personal brand preference. Total rubbish.

Anybody that believes practically anything they see or read on LTT deserves to be fooled. That place is just as big of a cesspool as Reddit. Maybe worse. At least on Reddit there are actually a few people who know what they're talking about.

Sep 17, 2018

well iam no expert but according to their official website http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/power-supplies-by-series/masterwatt-lite-230v-700w/ and https://seasonic.com/s12ii# they are pretty similar regarding protection and Safety and EMC ( again iam no expert and just matched the letters ) so are they false advertising or its a brand thing where they generally speaking produce better units?

Sep 17, 2018

just appeared first on google and seen a couple of people link it . so what list would be more trustworthy in your opinion if there is any?

Currently, there is no reliable list. The one we had here was semi-reliable, but was VERY outdated as Dottorrent stopped updating it regularly long ago and finally just gave up on it due to the tremendous amount of work required to do the research necessary in order for it to even be semi-accurate.

This is my usual spiel on brands.

I don't know what country you reside in, and I know that sometimes it's hard to come by good units in some regions, but when possible, when it comes time to get that PSU, I'd stick to the following if you can.

Seasonic. Just about anything made by Seasonic is good quality for the most part. There are really no bad Seasonic units and only a very few that are even somewhat mediocre. They do make a few less-good quality OEM style units, but mostly those are not going to be units you come across at most vendors, and they are still not bad. Also, the S12II and M12II 520 and 620w units are older, group regulated models. At one time they were among the best units you could buy. Now, they are outdated and not as good as almost any other Seasonic models. They are however still better than a LOT of newer designs by other manufacturers.

Corsair. The CX and CXm units are ok as a budget option, but I do not recommend pairing them with gaming cards. The newer 2017 models of CX and CXm are better than the older ones, so if it specifically says 2017 model, then it's likely at least better than those older ones. Aside from that, any of the TX, RMx, RMi, HX, HXi, AX or AXi units are good. Those are listed from best to worst, with the best being the AX and AXi units.

Antec. The True power classic units are made by Seasonic, and are very good, but are not modular. The High current gamer 520w and 620w, or any other PSU you see on the market that is 520w or 620w, are also made by Seasonic, based on the S12II and M12II platform for modern versions, and are pretty good units but they are an older platform that is group regulated so if you go with a Haswell or newer Intel configuration you will want to avoid those because they do not support the C6/C7 Intel low power states.

They CAN be used, if you turn off C6/C7 in the bios, but I'd really recommend a newer platform whenever possible. Prices are usually pretty good on those though, so sometimes it's worth accepting the lack of DC-DC on the internal platform. Higher capacity versions of the High current gamer are not based on that platform, so they are fine. Those being the 750w and higher versions. Antec Edge units are ok too, but reviews indicate that they have noisy fan profiles.

Super Flower. They are like Seasonic and they make power supplies for a variety of other companies, like EVGA. Super Flower units are usually pretty good. I'd stick to the Leadex, Leadex II and Golden Green models.

EVGA. They have good and bad. Bad are the W1, N1, B1, B3 and G1 NEX models. Good models are the B2, G2, G2L, G3, GQ, P2 and T2 models.

FSP. They used to be very mediocre, and are a PSU manufacturer like Seasonic and Super Flower, although not as well trusted based on historical performance. Currently the FSP Hydro G and Hydro X units are pretty good.

I would avoid Thermaltake and Cooler Master. They do have a few good units, but most of the models they sell are either poor or mediocre, and the ones they have that ARE good are usually way overpriced.

I think you're mostly right about that list, but perhaps you're being a little too harsh. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you reminded me that not even TomsHardware is immune to spelling out crap.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html
"However, what these price-panicked pundits don't understand is that there's value in being an early adopter. And there's a cost to either delaying your purchase or getting an older-generation product so you can save money. Unless and until final benchmark results show otherwise, the new features of the Turing cards make them worth buying, even at their current, sky-high prices. "

That is editorial, not community. Totally different beasts. I have nothing to say at all, one way or another, about editorial, because when I did (And really, I didn't say anything about them) I got demoted. So, they do what they do, and community does what community does. You are a lot more likely to get good advice from the community here, than from practically any other tech forum on the internet. I've participated at pretty much ALL of them, Overclockers, HardOCP, JG, Anandtech, Techpowerup, Techspot, Hardware secrets, Small form factor network, many others, and honestly you are more likely to get good advice here, more of the time, than on any of them.

Those questionable editorial articles your referring to, are just that, editorial. They are not community. What gets recommended by editorial has literally NOTHING to do with what the members and moderators in community recommend or feel about a particular product.

The PSU list at LTT, that's strictly community, member created. It is no more an "official" list of LTT than the one by Dottorent was here.

Sep 17, 2018

so are power consumption calculators like https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator actually reliable or they just indicate the absolute minimum required watts? THANKS ALOT.

Masterwatt - decent
Mwe - mediocre
Masterwatt lite - low end bargain basement stuff.

Dont confuse the model ranges with each other.

The masterwatt (which is the only one thats even close to being a quality unit) only comes in 450/550/650/750w variations.

I don't like any of them. Or the company for the most part. As far as I'm concerned, they ARE a bargain basement company in most areas. Of course they have a few areas where they are better than others. Some of their cases through the years have been really good.

Their power supplies have ALMOST universally been junk. Again, there are a few exceptions, but of course, much like Corsair they don't make them. So looking at who a given unit was made by, and just buying one of their units is usually less expensive than buying any decent or well built unit from CM. Again, the units they have that ARE decent, are overpriced for what you are getting in nearly every example.

Their fans are ok at the cheap end of the spectrum, if you need a cheap fan. For a while their their 200mm fan was about the only one of it's kind you could really find. Now there are much better options including a 20cm Noctua fan.

Honestly, they are one of the absolute worst companies I've had to deal with in terms of getting an RMA for any failed CM component, at least, in my experience. There are a lot of reasons to not like them, and very few in their favor IMO.