Is memory compatible?

Eoin Doody

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
Can I use the MSI GTX 950 2GD5 OC NVIDIA GTX 950 with a stick of Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4, 2400MHz, CL14 (14-16-16-31) RAM.
I was wondering because in the description of the 950 on amazon, it said that the computer memory type was DDR3 SDRAM.
It's my first time building a PC so I'm not to sure about anything!

Solution
It happens, sounds simply like you were asking is there going to be a conflict running that DRAM on the mobo and using that GPU as it has different DRAM on it - and no there will be no problem the two don't need to be the same, and actually the system might share some of your 4GB of system DRAM with the Graphics card and it will work fine - so no worries ;)

Eoin Doody

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
I meant that I wanted to know if the GPU would be compatible with DDR4, because on it's amazon description, it said this exactly:
Computer Memory Type DDR3 SDRAM

That is what is confusing me.
Thanks for answering either way.

sid_90

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014

MSI GTX 950 - its the GPU or graphic crad, it fits in PCI slot of your MoBo (MotherBoard). Whereas, Corsair Vengeance LPX is the RAM of your PC. This must be fit into the RAM slot of your MoBo.
So irrespective of their individual DDR3/4/5 specification, they will work only depending on your MoBo.
Now if your MoBo supports DDR4 memory modules (RAM Slots), then yes go ahead. If not then no you have to stick with DDR3 memory modules.
It would be better if you gave us the model or name of your MoBo. Like Gigabyte/MSI/Asus etc..

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no. that memory will not plug into that video card. they both plug into a motherboard and run fine together.
question is a bit confusing.

I see the description, that may be a typo earlier cards used DDR3 for the GPU memory. the GPU as a system uses GDDR5 2GB (2GD5). it cannot be upgraded if that is what you thought.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
It happens, sounds simply like you were asking is there going to be a conflict running that DRAM on the mobo and using that GPU as it has different DRAM on it - and no there will be no problem the two don't need to be the same, and actually the system might share some of your 4GB of system DRAM with the Graphics card and it will work fine - so no worries ;)

Solution