[SOLVED] Is Microsoft trying to create an account by asking to add my fullname & birthdate?

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
No idea where else to ask this so it kind of fits into Privacy and Security.

I don't know if I have created a microsoft account with a certain gmail before, so I request a new password for that gmail to see if it is actually a Microsoft registered account.

Upon "changing" the password I am being asked to enter in my birthdare, first and last name.

This doesn't seem right. If I had ever registered a Microsoft account with a password, it would automatically have these information right?
It seems to me rather that microsoft is trying to register a new account while making me think I'm just resetting the password.

This is disgusting fraud in my opinion, the lowest form of website disgrace next to dark patterns and other tricks. If I didn't have an account, Microsoft would tell me or is this normal?

PS: I clicked on "Forgot password", not register new account.

This is disgusting fraud in my opinion, the lowest form of website disgrace next to dark patterns and other tricks. If I didn't have an account, Microsoft would tell me or is this normal?
Gmail account and microsoft account are not the same thing.
Gmail is managed by google, microsoft account is managed by microsoft.

Both your gmail account and microsoft account may be named the same (i.e ikernelpro4@ gmail.com). But they may have different passwords.
It's important, where you're using this account (for what operations).

So if you change password for your gmail account, that does nothing to your microsoft account.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
How do Microsoft know you are not emailing from a hacked email account and trying to gain access to someone else’s Microsoft account? I don’t see any problem with them asking to verify this information.
"Emailing from a hacked account" What? They are asking for my birthdate and full name not to verify but to add to my "account"

I do agree that the title was incomplete/confusing, changed it.

Again, it's not verifying anything, it want's to add information to complete the profile <-- even more reasons to suspect account creation

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Gmail account and microsoft account are not the same thing.
Gmail is managed by google, microsoft account is managed by microsoft.

Both your gmail account and microsoft account may be named the same (i.e ----). But they may have different passwords.
It's important, where you're using this account (for what operations).

So if you change password for your gmail account, that does nothing to your microsoft account.
I'm aware that the companies operating different email services, I didn't change the password of the gmail account.
I didn't know whether a microsoft account exists registered under that gmail, so I clicked "Forgot password and entered the gmail in".

PS: Also please don't post my gmail address out like that, I would appreciate an edit, bots love to crawl and I don't need more spam:D.

Last edited:
"Emailing from a hacked account" What? They are asking for my birthdate and full name not to verify but to add to my "account"

I do agree that the title was incomplete/confusing, changed it.

Again, it's not verifying anything, it want's to add information to complete the profile <-- even more reasons to suspect account creation
Ok yeah that wasn’t clear in the title or the first post that this was to ‘add’ and not validate. Those questions are not uncommon for validating you are who you say you are.