[SOLVED] Is mixing ram ok on 2666mhz mobo?

Sep 10, 2021
My pc currently has an 8 x 2 Corsair Vengeance LPX at 3200mhz. This was before I realized that my B360M could only support 2666mhz. Recently my friend has decided to give me his old pc as he is building a new one. His old pc has an 8 x 2 OLOy at 3000mhz. Both of them seem to have the same timings of 16-18-18-36 and 1.35v. However they aren’t the same brand and frequencies are different. I don’t know much about mixing ram but I’d assume they would just take the speed the mobo supports which is 2666mhz. Will I be able to mix both rams since both rams would be at the same speed of my mobo?

Solution
Hi mixtapecomingoutsoon (y) and Welcome to the Forum :)

• Mixing RAM especially with differing frequency and Manuafacturer is a No No.
Yes sometimes they appear to work only to find issues down the track. When they do work they will default to the lowest frequency of the two kits or to the MB supported frequency.

The reason for this is mainly due to latency differance in the modules and Manuafacturers warn of this. RAM Kits are binned at the factory to prevent a mismatch and these mismatches can be frustrating and more often than not cause or create issues with system stability.

In conclusion: When selecting RAM you should choose a single kit the size you need and frequency both the CPU and MB support and...

Yes sometimes they appear to work only to find issues down the track. When they do work they will default to the lowest frequency of the two kits or to the MB supported frequency.

The reason for this is mainly due to latency differance in the modules and Manuafacturers warn of this. RAM Kits are binned at the factory to prevent a mismatch and these mismatches can be frustrating and more often than not cause or create issues with system stability.

In conclusion: When selecting RAM you should choose a single kit the size you need and frequency both the CPU and MB support and chosen from the MB QVL, that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Solution
My pc currently has an 8 x 2 Corsair Vengeance LPX at 3200mhz. This was before I realized that my B360M could only support 2666mhz. Recently my friend has decided to give me his old pc as he is building a new one. His old pc has an 8 x 2 OLOy at 3000mhz. Both of them seem to have the same timings of 16-18-18-36 and 1.35v. However they aren’t the same brand and frequencies are different. I don’t know much about mixing ram but I’d assume they would just take the speed the mobo supports which is 2666mhz. Will I be able to mix both rams since both rams would be at the same speed of my mobo?
Might work fine.
Might not work at all.
Might give once a week odd stuff happening that will defy fixing.

If you want to try it I suggest you get the latest bios first.

Sep 10, 2021

In conclusion: When selecting RAM you should choose a single kit the size you need and frequency both the CPU and MB support and chosen from the MB QVL, that way you know they are tested and known to work.
But would the different frequency’s matter since both are gonna be limited to 2666mhz anyways?