Jun 29, 2019
Hubby bought used parts from some guy on FB. Motherboard, CPU, 4 memory sticks, and HSF. Then a used GPU off Ebay. He set everything up in his computer and had it restart on him. He figured it was a heating issue cause our computers are about 10 years old and the fans aren't creating enough airflow. So he pops the side of his case open and puts a regular floor/house fan next to it. Works perfectly. Couple weeks later, he orders new parts and gives me these used parts to upgrade my computer.

I get everything installed and it starts up. Runs fine for a couple of hours, then it restarts. I do virus scans and nothing shows, so I set up the floor fan too though it's not blowing directly on the side cause the tower is setting in a desk. Keeps restarting. Figured it's my PSU cause it's ancient and lower wattage than what hubby had. Bought a brand new corsair vengeance 750m, as well as a new SSD. Runs fine for a bit and restarts. So I take it out of the desk and sit the tower on the floor for more direct airflow. Restarts.

At this point I should mention that the longer the computer stays on, the quicker it restarts. On the first boot up in the morning, it'll run for awhile before it restarts. If I'm playing a game, it'll run for about an hour or two. After a while, it'll start restarting every 5 minutes.

Now it does seem to restart more often when I'm playing a game so at this point I use HWmonitor to check temps. CPU is 47c and GPU is 74c when it restarts. Read these are fine temps.

Next I check windows 10 updates and drivers to make sure everything is up to date. After a couple of windows updates, open a game it computer restarts. Did safe mode and told it not to restart on failure, go back to normal windows load game, restarts. I know it can't be the hard drive cause I'm using a brand new HP SSD.

I uninstall video card driver, put in my old card, update drivers. Restarts. So I switch back to newer GPU.

Tried to do Memtest86 but computer restarts before the test completes. I take out all memory sticks except for one and check to see if it boots. I try all 4, one at a time, and each stick boots fine though I don't keep computer on long enough to see if it restarts. Put all 4 sticks back in, load game, computer restarts. Take out all 4 and put in my 2 old sticks. Load a game and still restarts. Put the 4 newer sticks back in.

Take off battery on motherboard and replace it with another battery of the same type, restarts.

Since this is a used motherboard, I go in to BIOS and tell it to go to default settings. Load to windows, load game, restarts.

Next I just do a clean install of windows 10 and during the process of updating everything, computer keeps restarting. I take out SSD and put in my old Hitachi HDD with windows 7. Now this was the drive I had when it first restarted. Windows was up to date. Now it says there are 118 important updates. I tell it to update all and it gets to installing 50 before it freezes. I push the reset button, begins the process of restarting but doesn't boot. I look for red lights on motherboard and cpu light is on. I double check connections, and just every wire anyways, and everything looks fine. Power it up and starts just fine.

I start the windows updates again but have it only do 10 at a time. Installs everything just fine. While this is going on, I have Malwarebytes run a scan. Error pops up saying Malwarebytes stopped and needs to restart. This has NEVER happened in the 10+ years of using it. Restart virus scan, finishes, comes back clean. Windows update says it needs to restart so I tell it to restart. Computer acts like it's restarting but nothing shows on the screen. The screen goes from black to grey but I don't see the BIOS or anything. I hit restart button, computer restarts and loads in to windows.

Do another batch of windows updates (again doing only 10 at a time) and it wants to restart. I tell it to and doesn't load. VGA red light on motherboard is on. I take out GPU and put it back in to make sure it is securely in, reconnect wires, double check everything. It loads to windows. Finish the last of the windows updates, restart.

Now I get a blue screen error, BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO, and windows needs to be repaired. I tell it to do that and computer freezes. Restart button and nothing loads, no red light. Restart button, nothing loads, no red light. Restart button and loads to blue screen error (different error but didn't write it down). I hit the enter button to restart so it begins windows repair but doesn't boot. VGA red light is on again. Now I'm here.

So now I'm pretty much thinking motherboard or CPU is going out. I don't believe the CPU was improperly installed because when my hubby had it in his computer, it worked fine. When we transferred everything to my case, we left the CPU and stuff attached to motherboard. I held the HSF while he lifted motherboard out and set it in my case. So it can't be a thermal paste issue or anything.

Motherboard is an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. I can't for the life of me remember what the CPU was but if I can get back in to windows to look at device manager, I'll add what it is.

Again, can't be GPU or RAM cause I swapped those out and still had restarting issues.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Overall, too much is happening and whenever more than one thing is done at a time the more things can get confused or conflicted.

Slow down on the changes and reactions. Even new components can have problems and fail.

Disable AV during the updates. Do nothing else during the updates even though MS says "you can keep working".....

Troubleshooting must be methodical and focused.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond to the times of the restarts.

What do you find?

Jun 29, 2019
I usually never do anything while windows updates but hubby really insisted I run a virus scan while it was updating this time so I did. So not my idea lol

Did not look in reliability history but did check event viewer a few times after reinstalling windows 10 for the second time. The only error that showed was the slui.exe error since I skipped putting in my product key during set up this time around. There was a "critical" but it was my computer suddenly powering down and restarting.

Jun 29, 2019
Ok got it going on windows 10 with SSD and loaded up a game to wait it out. It restarted.

Event viewer has 3 warnings right before it restarted, source is DistributedCOM and Event ID is 10016 "The application specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID"