Is MSI a safe/good motherboard brand?

davidtho

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Heya folks.

So I'm in the process of buying parts for my new gaming PC. Been looking at the MSI Pro Carbon Z170 as i thought it has nice looks and a fair share of good reviews. But then I read on the TW forums that some people have bad experiences with MSI and that MSI has bad QC etc.

What is true here? Am I better off buing an Asus board or shall i stick with my intended plan?
I want my PC as stable as possible (wont we all?).

Thanks! :)

Solution
All mobo mfrs get quite a lot of bad press.

I am convinced that a lot of it boils down to user error to be honest.
Imagine the number of complaints GM would get if they sold build-your-own car parts.

MSI is a solid brand, as are any of the big ones. Gigabyte, ASUS, AsRock, even EVGA has some nice mobos.
All mobo mfrs get quite a lot of bad press.

I am convinced that a lot of it boils down to user error to be honest.
Imagine the number of complaints GM would get if they sold build-your-own car parts.

MSI is a solid brand, as are any of the big ones. Gigabyte, ASUS, AsRock, even EVGA has some nice mobos.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I only do client and personal builds on Asus, the Rock and GB. I get more trouble calls on MSI than any 2 other brands put together due to their poor QC, so I simply refuse to build on them.

And we just had a thread on an MSI mobo where the guy was using their Live update to check for new BIOSs and nothing, went to their site and finds they had a new one out for about a month and a half that their LIVE update was never seeing

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3089160/msi-x99a-bios-settings-lost-entering-windows.html#18271806

ohenryy

Honorable

I'm with you here!
I been a MSI user for a long time and I got really bad issues with not one but several MSI mobos couple of years ago and made the switch. Either Asus or AsRock for me, Gigabyte is ok.

davidtho

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hmm.. I really dont know what to do. Been locked on MSI for so long, but hearing these mixed opinions makes me a bit hesitant.

The Asus Viii Hero looks damn nice though!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Great mobo, it's the one I went with, and myy rigs get used hard, am always testing ne components, Have had numerous sets of DRAM, CPU coolers and GPUs on it with no problems, mine's in sig (soon to change yet again, will be grabbing a GTX 1080 in the next few days)