[SOLVED] Is my 1060 dying/dead?

Jan 27, 2022
Hi team! I believe my GPU is faulty, but I'd like to ask for your advice. Please kindly let me know what you think!
  • The GPU is a MSI 1060 6GT bought in May 2018. It's ~3.5 years old, out of warranty.
  • I use a case with a PCIe riser (Dan A4 SFX). I haven't tinkered inside the case in several months.
  • The PSU is a Corsair SF450 Platinum (450W). The total power draw at the wall does not exceed 330W with Prime95 and Furmark.
  • My computer has been crashing when I play Doom Eternal on Windows 10. It happened 4 times in the past 4 days. It hasn't crashed outside of games, but I haven't used it that way too much lately. I haven't had stability issues before that.
  • I have not had stutters, glitches, or artifacts. The computer just freezes entirely and needs a reboot. I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed.
  • Immediately after a crash I have one of the following problems.
    • The VGA LED of the motherboard lights up and the system does not boot. The manual says this LED lights up when "the graphics card or the CPU with integrated graphics is not detected or failed".
    • The OS fails to boot. Both Windows and Linux, so I know it's not an OS problem.
  • The problems remains after both warm and cold reboots, and even if I leave the computer off for a short while. After some time (minutes or hours) the problem disappears.
  • My monitoring system did not report any abnormal temperature or power usage immediately before any of the crashes.
  • I believe the game has been crashing after less and less play time, and I believe the recovery time is longer and longer. But only 4 crashes might not be a large enough sample size to draw such a conclusion.
I don't have a buddy to borrow a spare GPU from, or who could test mine. I'm not sure anyway that it's safe to use if faulty, so I removed it from my system.

Now is not the best time to buy a new GPU: would you have any idea what I could try to be certain this is due to a faulty GPU? Or would you maybe be sure this is the problem already?

Last edited:
Solution
If the problem disappears, it almost sounds like a PSU problem or a heat problem to me even though its not reporting its hot, This is a hard one, could vary well be a GPU on its way out, is there anyway to hook up the GPU without the riser? give it a try for a while and see if you can replicate the problem without the riser.

Good Luck!
If the problem disappears, it almost sounds like a PSU problem or a heat problem to me even though its not reporting its hot, This is a hard one, could vary well be a GPU on its way out, is there anyway to hook up the GPU without the riser? give it a try for a while and see if you can replicate the problem without the riser.

Good Luck!

Solution