Question Is my 1080 Ti dead ?

ARCADDER

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2012
Hi! So I’ve been having tons of issues with my now ancient PC. Starting from earlier this year, every single game crashed, the more demanding, the faster. They’d all go with a loud BRRRR for a second or two, and then they’d crash to desktop. Some games would straight up shut down my PC. The past two weeks, I wasn’t even able to game on it, as the PC would randomly have a black screen, sound would stop, monitor would say there was no signal, and then all the fans would go full blast. Sometimes I’d get a blue screen with some WHEA NTFS error.

I did everything, from reinstalling the latest BIOS, to formatting all my drives and reinstalling Windows, to going back to W10, trying with Nvcleanstall and GeForce Experience, cleaned and reseated the entire PC... Heck, I ended buying a Fractal Design North case assuming my old one was crushing the MOBO cables with the liquid cooler stack.

I concluded it was a PSU problem. Today my shiny new ROG THOR Platinum II PSU arrived and after installing it… 10 seconds after booting into Windows, same black screen and fans ramped up to 100%. :persevere: I rebooted about 5 times with the same results. In a lucky try, the PC lasted about 10 minutes without shutting itself off or crashing, but suddenly the whole screen went green and everything seemed to look duplicated and shifted.

My only hope to discard a GPU issue was my SSD, which according to CrystalDisk, is at 45% health and could be corrupting drivers and whatnot, was crushed by installing an even older GTX770 Windforce I had laying around and the PC stays on like nothing ever happened but games will still crash after a minute or two, probably because 4K makes the GTX770 [bad language removed] on itself. I mounted the 1080Ti back again and yep... it makes the PC crash shortly after booting into Windows.

So what would you guys say? Is it time to prepare a funeral for my trusty old 1080 Ti Strix?