Question Is my 1080ti too hot?

Jun 8, 2022
Hi I have a Zotac 1080ti and it is at 84degree wen gaming. In firestorm there is a slider named ''gpu temp target'' witch is at 84degree by default. If I lower it to 75degree it also decrease power from 100% to 76% then the card do not pass the 75degree wen gaming.

The case have intake on front and exhaust on back and have door open anyway so it getting a ton of fresh air it is definitely not an airflow problem.

I am currently using the 76% power option because I am afraid of fire hazard but it feel bad to downclock.

1. Did I get a bad roll?

2. How do the ''gpu temp target'' option work? is it only a maximum or will it push the card higher until it reach target, would it be possible to keep it bellow target whit enough cooling so it do not reach the ''gpu temp target'' or it will always push to reach target?

3. Is it safe to play many hour at 84degree? wen I put my hand near the card it is very very hot to the point I was wondering if the pcie power cable will burn.

I was using the daisy chain the first day changed for 2 wires after reading it can help but it changed nothing.

Every game I have play work flawless I am very happy whit the card but if I leave the game on very long or forget it on and go to sleep I do not want it to break or cause fire.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X 4.20 GHz
GPU - Zotac 1080ti AMP Edition
RAM - 16gb Ripjaws V
PSU - EVGA 650 B5
MB - Asus Prime b550-plus
OS - Win 10 64-bit

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The card is self throttling to a target of 83C, this is perfectly normal and is the thermal design of the GPU.

You can increase the fan speeds if you don't mind the noise. Temperature rises with power usage, so to effectively reduce temperatures you are reducing the power. That is also working as intended.

Multiple power cables help with voltage stability, not really power draw.

Reactions: 11Shady11

KyaraM

Admirable
84°C is still okay. Not awesome, but okay, which is why get no issues playing games. What you can try is undervolting your vard. It should decrease your card quite a bit. If you are unsure how, an easy way I dound was running the curve optimizer of Afterburner over the card, then flatten the curve at the rarget voltage. That way, you should lose little to no performance, but reduce temperatures.

check fan profile on your gpu, it might be set too low, mine 1070ti had it at 50% at 81C temp target

anyway, gpu has some base clock (1569MHz), if your gpu is not throttling below this frequency, then it runs as intended
gpu will boost itself above base clock as long temperature/power/voltage targets allows it to do so
with good enough cooling (watercooling) you could reach 2.1GHz at low temperatures (its much easier to cool down GPUs than CPUs as they got no heat spreader)

Jun 8, 2022
Hi again I have been experimenting whit afterburner fan curve I can lower a few degree but the fan get loud quickly I will have to find the setting I like. As I said I really like the card just do not want to break it. Thank you all for the tips and info.

Last edited: