[SOLVED] Is my 2 year old EVGA PSU dying?

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
In November of 2017, I put together a new PC with a brand new EVEA 750G2 PSU. I use my workstation mainly for video editing and animation using Adobe Premiere and After Effects

Just last week—and more so today—while working on a 4K animation in AE, I noticed a very strange lag. Its not your typical “4K animation lag” (with which I am familiar)...rather it is a slowness in the mouse pointer on screen, a slowness to register a click, a slowness to move a window or change a parameter or move the timeline scrubber.

This was so strange that I checked my Task Manager. When I did, I noticed that AE was registering “very high” power usage. I thought that was strange, but maybe it’s a;ways been that way and I’ve never checked before....However, while I was looking up some info online, google chrome started to register “very high” power usage as well.

I’m hesitant to say that this 2 year old and relatively high quality PSU is going bad...but, does this sound like it may be the case? Is there anyway to test to make sure before I buy a new one?

Also, IF it is a bad PSU....can I continue to work on my animation while I wait for the new one to come in? I, of course, want to avoid anything that would fry my whole system....but is this PSU new enough and of a high enough caliber to have some sort of safety measures to prevent that...?

And lastly, here are the specs that seem important, if you need others, just let me know:

CPU: intel core i7 8700K
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
RAM: 4x16GB Corsair
MB: ASUS TUF Gaming Z370 Plus
1 - HDD
2 - M2 960 EVO SSD (500GB)
1 - Corsair H100i
2 - Case fans
1 - External Seagate 6TB Hub
1 - basic wireless keyboard
1 - basic wireless mouse
2 - 24 in LG LED monitors

And 1, EVGA 750 G2 PSU....

Oh, and not sure if this matters, but my PSU is plugged into a CyberPower 425VA surge protector / battery backup.....

Thanks for any input!

Solution
Ok, well that helps bit with the first question then....If I’m not drawing over 300w (due to the CP not alarming), then I don’t think I’m pushing my 750W PSU too hard....I’ll look at about monitoring the CP surge protector and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah thats where I was going with this. Worth looking at first.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Is that CyberPower 425VA battery beeping like hell at you, because it only provides 225w (it should be)? Your system under load is drawing way more than that.

Pull that battery out of the chain and plug the system into the wall and see what happens.

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Is that CyberPower 425VA battery beeping like hell at you, because it only provides 225w (it should be)? Your system under load is drawing way more than that.

Pull that battery out of the chain and plug the system into the wall and see what happens.

Huh....very strange. No, its not beeping, but that is an interesting thought. I’ve had it for a while now and haven’t noticed this lag, but let me pull it out of the chain as you suggest and see what if there’s a difference.

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Ok - it didn’t seem to make a difference that I can see....I did find out that the “very high” power usage notification is a new feature in a recent Windows 10 update, which is probably why I haven’t seen it before.

That also leads to the question—why wasn’t the CyberPower surge protector beeping or anything? I mean, if it really does only allow a 225 output?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok - it didn’t seem to make a difference that I can see....I did find out that the “very high” power usage notification is a new feature in a recent Windows 10 update, which is probably why I haven’t seen it before.

That also leads to the question—why wasn’t the CyberPower surge protector beeping or anything? I mean, if it really does only allow a 225 output?

Thats a good question. Do you game at all?

What specific model is it? it may not have a warning system.

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Thats a good question. Do you game at all?

What specific model is it? it may not have a warning system.

No gaming. Just After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, a little Blender, and Chrome.

The CyberPower is this guy right here: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp500hg/

It says it has alarms for overpower......and I know when our power went out before, it beeped at me. So—that’s strange, b/c you’re right—I’m definitely drawing more than 225W

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
No gaming. Just After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, a little Blender, and Chrome.

The CyberPower is this guy right here: https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp500hg/

It says it has alarms for overpower......and I know when our power went out before, it beeped at me. So—that’s strange, b/c you’re right—I’m definitely drawing more than 225W

Ok that says 300w. I'd guess if you're not gaming its likely you're NOT drawing more than that. Unless maybe when its really rendering. To be honest I've never done that before so I'm not sure. Its too bad there is no display so you can monitor power usage, although it does have a USB port which means you can connect it to the system and see how much power you're drawing through their Control panel software.

Would be worth checking and monitoring to see.

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Ok that says 300w. I'd guess if you're not gaming its likely you're NOT drawing more than that. Unless maybe when its really rendering. To be honest I've never done that before so I'm not sure. Its too bad there is no display so you can monitor power usage, although it does have a USB port which means you can connect it to the system and see how much power you're drawing through their Control panel software.

Would be worth checking and monitoring to see.

Ok, well that helps bit with the first question then....If I’m not drawing over 300w (due to the CP not alarming), then I don’t think I’m pushing my 750W PSU too hard....I’ll look at about monitoring the CP surge protector and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the input.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thanks for the input.

Yeah thats where I was going with this. Worth looking at first.

Solution