Question Is my 2080 TI toast?

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 ULTRA GAMING
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero XI
CPU: Intel I9-9900K

My 2080 TI purchased in 2018 was returned to EVGA in 2019 under warranty due to artifact issues. The card I received after the RMA has worked fine since then.

Today while running Crusader Kings III the game crashed just before artifacts were on the screen, necessitating a reboot.
I used DDU to remove all drivers, reinstalled the newest GeForce driver and ran 3DMark. 3DMark runs for perhaps 20 seconds before it too displays the artifacts, which I captured here:
View: https://i.imgur.com/Bahr4Y7.jpeg

I was also logging HWinfo64 while the test was running, which is found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/woabtku7u1s5qc1/vlog.CSV?dl=0

I should mention that CK3 causes an entire system crash when the artifacts emerge, whereas 3D Mark + HWinfo running merely causes 3D Mark to freeze and close to Desktop.

I'm not sure what other options I have at this point other than to submit an RMA (it's still in warranty when I purchased the 5 year warranty, however under my product registration it states:

EDIT: Just checked my EVGA profile and I see, despite still being well within warranty, the following:

"Extended Warranty Information:
Note: The EVGA Extended Warranty Program is currently unavailable."

I'm not sure what this now indicates being that EVGA is no longer in the graphics card business.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's nothing to be said until you hear from them after filing an RMA. That seems to be a generic notice that the program is no longer available, not that they're necessarily not honoring existing warranties.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

arz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

Here's a (possibly) interesting development:

I tried to run CK3 through the motherboard displayport output so that the game would run off the I9-9900K integrated graphics. Everything seemed fine for a few seconds until I got a BSOD crash (this did not happen during the video card crashes, which I just had a black screen until an eventual restart) with the Stop code as VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and "what failed" as nvlddmkm.sys. Mind you I did not disconnect the graphics card from the motherboard, but rather restarted the PC and had the video output go through the motherboard displayport.

I understand that nvlddmkm.sys is associated with NVIDIA drivers, but this is a curious development considering I wasn't using the graphics card at this moment.

I am wondering now if that maybe my PSU could be the culprit? Or perhaps I should try the Integated graphics once more with the video card actually unmounted from the motherboard?

UPDATE: Now I'm getting VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and nvlddmkm.sys BSOD crash when just using my browser while connected through the motherboard's displayport. I'm suspecting this may not be a video card issue.

In the event logs I'm seeing EVENT ID's 6008, 161, and 41 right before the BSOD occurs which I believe are all power related. My power setting are set to "High Performance" in windows settings.

UPDATE 2: So I removed the video card and ran CK3 once more through motherboard's displayport, and there weren't crashes and everything ran a lot slower. So I guess the game was utilizing the video cards graphics processing despite not being directly connected. The power errors in the event ID may still be of note, however. Unless that's a standard event ID for when an unexpected reboot occurs.

Last edited:
No, your RTX 2080 Ti isn't toast, it's a video card! :p

Terrible jokes aside, yeah, there's no question in my mind that it's a hardware issue. EVGA is pretty legendary for their customer service and standing behind their products (so much so that it's the reason I bought one of their PSUs) so I would just send it in for an RMA.

Yup, wait and see what EVGA says, if they wont do anything which is unlikely, You could sell it, of course you will be taking a loss, not many will want an artifacting card, or if your savy and brave enough, toast it, seriously, there are bunch of people thats done this and its either worked in the long term or short term, just depends.

Definity read up tutorials and do at your own risk.