[SOLVED] Is my 3080 in the pcie slot far enough?

Jun 4, 2021
I recently upgraded from a 970 to a 3080 and i realized the 3080 does not fit as snug into the pcie slot as far as the 970 appears to. I pushed on the card a bit because i read in other posts that you might need to push a bit harder to make it go in but i dont want to push so hard to break it. I turned on my computer and everything appears to run fine but just wanted to make sure before i fry a 1500$ card. Btw my motherboard is a Maximus hero xii. Here is a picture of the pcie slot as you can see it is very slightly off on the left side https://ibb.co/NYFwDmV

Solution
Nah. Doesn't look good.
Contact pins of the graphics card are clearly visible. They should not be visible at all (or very tiny portion visible).
If graphics card is not properly inserted, it can get damaged and PCIE slot can get damaged too.
Jun 4, 2021
Nah. Doesn't look good.
Contact pins of the graphics card are clearly visible. They should not be visible at all (or very tiny portion visible).
If graphics card is not properly inserted, it can get damaged and PCIE slot can get damaged too.
do you think my card will get damaged because i pressed pretty hard (not so hard that i could break it) but hard enough that it should of went in. Also my meteal of the graphics card that screws to the case is as far as it can go

Jun 4, 2021
i was wondering if my graphics card is far enough into the pcie slot, because no matter what i try it does not want to go further into the first pcie slot. I tried putting it in the second slot and it fit fine and i dont see anything stoping it from going into the first slot. Ran the computer and seems to be running fine had a few crashes in game after a couple of hours, but i think that is just this card coming pre overclocked .
View: https://imgur.com/a/mRgkVGC

i was wondering if my graphics card is far enough into the pcie slot
It is not.

Are standoffs installed behind motherboard? If they are not, then there would be few mm gap, when inserting PCIE card (like you have).

Anyway - if you can't insert card properly into first PCIE x16 slot, then use second PCIE x16 slot instead.
Performance impact should be minimal.

Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
It is not.

Are standoffs installed behind motherboard? If they are not, then there would be few mm gap, when inserting PCIE card (like you have).

Anyway - if you can't insert card properly into first PCIE x16 slot, then use second PCIE x16 slot instead.
I didnt even think of the lack of standoffs lowering the board.

Jun 4, 2021
It is not.

can you tell anything from this picture btw the crashes were only in games not the entire computer View: https://imgur.com/a/1hDuj3J