[SOLVED] Is my 3700x faulty? Dual channel memory not working, code "0d". Tried almost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yerjam

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
Hello everyone, I have a feeling there's something wrong with my new CPU. Here are my system specs:
  • CPU: AMD 3700x
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact, X570
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 (CMT32GX4M2C3200C16)
  • PSU: Corsair SF750 80 Plus Platinum
  • GPU: EVGA GTX1070 FTW
The issue is the system does not POST with dual channel RAM, but it does with RAM in one slot. POST state LEDs light up yellow indicating DRAM fault. I get a POST code error readout of "0d". I have made a post about this issue on another forum and didn't get anywhere. Initially I suspected a faulty motherboard DIMM slot but I have replaced the motherboard and have the same issue. Then I thought it could be the RAM so I got a new set and still have the same issue.

Here is everything I have tried:
  • System boots with RAM only in slot A1.
  • System does not boot with RAM only in slot B1 or with RAM in both slots.
  • The RAM in question is on the QVL.
  • I have made sure all PSU cables are secured correctly at both ends.
  • I have checked the CPU for bent pins; there aren't any I can see.
  • I have reseated the CPU and rebuilt the system a few times.
  • I have loosened the CPU cooler screws a little (I've heard this can help)
  • I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, didn't work with original BIOS or new one.
  • I have adjusted the RAM speed in the BIOS to match the speed rated on the modules.
  • Tried with DOCP enabled and disabled
  • I have replaced the motherboard, same issue.
  • I have replaced the RAM, same issue.
  • I have played around with some BIOS settings, including RAM voltage. Nothing seems to work. I have cleared CMOS and power cycled and few times, and nothing.
  • I do not have another CPU to try.
All brand new parts apart from the video card. I have tried everything I can think of and getting nowhere. The last thing left is to replace the CPU, but I want to know if there's anything else I can try, I'm going crazy here.

Everything else is working correctly with one RAM module installed. No other issues.

Edit: If anyone finds this post in the future, my problem ended up being a faulty CPU. Got it exchanged and everything is running fine.

Last edited:

yerjam

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
Ok. What does error code 0d mean according to the manual?

Is DOCP enabled? What speed is the Ram running at?

The manual states 0d is "Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes."

I tried first with DOCP disabled and everything at default. I then tried with DOCP enabled, and nothing. I've tried the RAM at 2133MHz and at its rated speed of 3200MHz and nothing. Both sticks work on their own and have been replaced already.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

yerjam

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
Dual channel is just the gateway to the cpu talking to the ram. It's an automatic thing when both slots are populated, you cannot run single channel with matched ram sticks. What you need is the memory controller to recognise Both sticks simultaneously. Sometimes this requires giving the MC extra voltages, especially at higher speeds.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/2.html

Interesting, thank you. I'll play with the voltages a bit and if I don't get anywhere I'll replace the CPU. I figured everything would work out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.