Question Is my 450 watt PSU enough?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I'm using a Cooler Master V2 Bronze 450 watt PSU. My rig requires 170 watts. I'm gonna install an RTX 2060 (I Don't care about bottleneck and I will upgrade the whole setup later).
With the graphics card installed, my rig will take almost 360 watts (I calculated using the cooler master website).

I've looked at the website and it says that I need 550 watt PSU minimum for the Graphics card.

Should I really upgrade it? I think 450 watt PSU can provide 360 watt efficiently

My specs:
Core i5 3470
Cooler Master V2 Bronze 450 watt PSU
Zebronics H61 Micro ATX form factor
12 GB 1600 MHZ RAM (Hynix and Hyper X Fury)
No graphics card installed at this moment.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
You can try running it and see if there's any power failure or such. But, I suspect that you've been using that PSU for years and considering it never was a great unit to begin with, I wouldn't push it. So be prepared to buy a new PSU too while buying the 2060. I wouldn't wanna keep an old PSU like that under 80%+ load for long gaming sessions.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
You can try running it and see if there's any power failure or such. But, I suspect that you've been using that PSU for years and considering it never was a great unit to begin with, I wouldn't push it. So be prepared to buy a new PSU too while buying the 2060. I wouldn't wanna keep an old PSU like that under 80%+ load for long gaming sessions.
That PSU is not old. I bought it a month ago

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
And why are you arguing over just 5-8W difference? Not like it makes a difference. And "~330w" means around 330W. It might be somewhere between 315-345W. And not like all system will draw equal power. Some casing has more fans, some people have numerous usb and SATA drives etc.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Techpowerup are one of the few that really measure energy used by that part itself aka gpu.

When looking at system wattage does efficiency even come into play since measured at the wall which draw is higher than what the components really use.
So all the power consumption charts of CPU on the internet are actually system power draw from the wall?
(There also was a time when I used to think the TDP listed at intel's website to be the rated power consumption lol)