Question Is my 500w power supply strong enough.

Sep 23, 2019
Hello people
I've just upgraded big for my pc my brother has fitted it all for me but we seem to have no display power the led lights at the front of my pc are on but nothing else happens.
I have a 500w corsair power supply this is the only thing pretty much I haven't upgraded.

Things I've upgraded to
Mobo z270-p
Gtx1060
I7 9700
H55 corsair liquid cooler
2×8 ram.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Sep 23, 2019
My brother says, He followed the mobo manual for hooking up the front panel header wires, but something is not right.

The manual says for the power switch led plug the wires into pins 2 and 4. The top left two pins, but that doesn't work. Plugging the power switch led pins into pins 5 and 7 with - in 5 and + in 7 works. The power switch led lights up when connected here. Even though the manual says pins 2 and 4.

Pin layout
2 4 6 8 10
1 3 5 7 9

Anyone able to shed some light here?

Yep, totally not compatible. The socket is the same numerically, LGA 1151, but it is a completely revised implementation of the socket, not compatible with 7th or 6th gen processors which ALSO use LGA 1151. Only 6th or 7th gen Intel CPUs will work in that motherboard and if you want to use that CPU, you need a B365 or Z390 chipset based motherboard. Technically, you could USE a Z370, B360 or H370 chipset based motherboard, but you'd need an 8th gen CPU to update the BIOS first OR a motherboard model with BIOS flashback, else that 9th gen CPU would be unlikely to work in although a few people have reported being able to update the BIOS on 8th gen chipsets using 9th gen CPUs.

Sep 23, 2019
If not, I'm sure you can sell it. Probably you can return it though if you bought from a big name retailer. Hopefully, not Newegg. They've become a real PITA to return things to and it takes forever to get a refund.
I bought it off ebuyer they've said I can return it but I have to pay for the postage. Hopefully not to much

TRENDING THREADS