Question Is my 550w psu enough for a amd rx 470?

Mar 6, 2019
I want to know if my cooler master extreme power plus 550w is enough for a amd rx 470, I have read that the actual maximum power of that psu is 500w. My pc specs: motherboard msi gma p34 fx. Processor amd fx-4200 3.3ghz. I have one 120gb ssd and a 500gb hhd and two 12v fans. I don't have money for another psu, so if it doesn't work i will go for a rx 460 since it uses less wattage (Also i want to know if it will work too) Thanks.

bignastyid

Titan
A good 550w PSU would be plenty, however the unit you have isn't even a good 400w PSU(poor quality components and a weak 12v rating <400w). Honestly that PSU is a very bad day just waiting to happen. It should be the first thing you replace so you don't end up need a whole new system.

Reactions: Uslor
Mar 6, 2019
A good 550w PSU would be plenty, however the unit you have isn't even a good 400w PSU(poor quality components and a weak 12v rating <400w). Honestly that PSU is a very bad day just waiting to happen. It should be the first thing you replace so you don't end up need a whole new system.
Oh, i see... which psu would you recommend me to get? Or at least one that can hold the RX 460. Yesterday i saw an offer on amazon of a Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 750w Semi-Modular, they lowered the price from 100$ to 70$, but i still can't afford it... i'm already going to put 100$ on one of this gpu's i said previously (That i found used on Ebay in great conditions from good sellers) maybe i can go up to 150$ on my budget if i add the psu.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019
Well that makes it easy.

Lower budget options

Mid budget options
That 2017 Corsair (The one that cost 38.99$) got my attention, will that one work with the rx 470? (Can it work with the oc version that needs the 8 pin power supply too? It's one of my options) maybe i can go for the 50$ ones on the mid budget. If there are not much differences between them, i'll go for the first one and save a few dollars. And also, i forgot to ask, can they work for a msi radeon rx 570 too?

Last edited: