[SOLVED] Is my 550W PSU enough for RTX 2060Super/2070?

kanejow

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
Hello! I'm thinking about buying a RTX 2060Super or 2070 and I'm not sure if my PSU could handle it. Here are my specs:
  • Motherboard: ASRock H270 Pro4
  • CPU: i7 7700 and cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz CL13
  • Storage: 1x SSD ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB and 1x HDD WD Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200rpm
  • GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 3x IceStorm 8GB
  • Case: Zalman Z3 Plus and fans: 3x 120mm + 1x 120mm blue LED
  • PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W 80+ Gold
So, does anyone know if my PSU could handle one of those GPUs? It doesn't matter which one. Also, I don't know if it's relevant or not, but this PC is 3.5 years old. Thank you!

Solution
Yes, it's enough for either of those GX cards along with the rest of your system, but the Seasonic G series is getting pretty long in the tooth, so there's a good chance this is a unit with some fair amount of miles on it. If that's the case, then don't be terribly surprised if the demands of a new graphics card result in having problems with a well used power supply. Even one that was pretty good when it was new. As far as capacity though, it's plenty for that configuration unless you are planning to overclock the CPU and/or graphics card to some significant degree.

If you are, then a GOOD 650w unit would be advisable.
Yes, it's enough for either of those GX cards along with the rest of your system, but the Seasonic G series is getting pretty long in the tooth, so there's a good chance this is a unit with some fair amount of miles on it. If that's the case, then don't be terribly surprised if the demands of a new graphics card result in having problems with a well used power supply. Even one that was pretty good when it was new. As far as capacity though, it's plenty for that configuration unless you are planning to overclock the CPU and/or graphics card to some significant degree.

Solution

kanejow

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

Thanks for the reply! I'll look for a better PSU, just to be safe.

This thread may be somewhat helpful to you.

And if not, then possibly this one might.