[SOLVED] Is my 5700xt under-performing or is it something else?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 22, 2020
I recently bought a brand new gigabyte 3fan 5700 xt. I used to have a gtx 1060 3gb and I was stuttering in games and lagging a lot so I thought I would buy a new graphics card. Turns out this did not help at all. I am still stuttering in most games and my fps barley had any boost to it and I'm still lagging. I've done almost everything uninstalled the old Nvidia graphics card drivers and I've tried finding a solution but nothing works... I feel like a should have a huge FPS boost and there should be no more stuttering but that's not the case.

Any suggestions?

PC SPECS

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: Msi a320m pro vh plus

GPU: Gigabyte 5700xt

Ram; 2x8 gb ddr4 2666 mhz

storage: 1tb samsung ssd

Solution
Well from all the parts depending on the case mobo form factor that can go in most parts could be reused.

Possible way to go for a start mobo and ram.
Going to a b450 up would give you the ability to run the 2600 pbo/xfr2 or bios Oc.
Not quite sure on the cooler thermal rating so Oc ?

As far as ram
I started with a 2600x and G.skill Flare X 3200 cl14 non-rgb and that ram is in my son's system with a 3600 on a
msi b450 pro carbon ac.

The flare x 3200 cl14 is GFX on most mobo memory Qvls.
3200 cl14 is almost as good as 3600 cl16 numbers wise.
Gamers Nexus stated if the price was to high for 3600 cl16 then save some money and go with the 3200.

Now as I stated early in this thread 3200 for a r5 2600 no problem.

R5 3600 to 3950...

johnsoner13

Respectable
Alright, ill try that also I have another question do you think if I buy a new GPU it will fix my stuttering and fps drop?
You literally just did that and still had the same issue that you’re having with your current card. Is that even a question?
have you tried a windows 10 clean install? Do you by any chance have MSI dragon center installed?

I have a 5700xt, it absolutely eclipses the rx 580 8gb (which is better than your 1060) it replaced.
Literally twice as powerful, I can max any game and still hit around 80fps absolutely minimum at 1080p.
Could you do me a favor? I've got a heavily overclocked Vega 64 with custom cooling. I'd like to see how it performs against the 5700xt. Could you post a userbenchmark? Do you have any custom cooling? Are you overclocking?

Could you do me a favor? I've got a heavily overclocked Vega 64 with custom cooling. I'd like to see how it performs against the 5700xt. Could you post a userbenchmark? Do you have any custom cooling? Are you overclocking?

I actually have it downclocked and undervolted at the minute on the silent bios because in all honesty it's actually way more powerful than I need.

But yeah I'll do a run on silent bios then on oc bios when I get chance.
I'll do userbenchmark, I'd argue 3dmark is way way better though when it comes to gpu benching.

Reactions: alceryes
Aug 22, 2020
Yeah but maybe it was the AMD cards I really don't know I've never gone with AMD I've always been with Nvidia. I have not tried a windows 10 clean install and I used to have MSI dragon center installed but I deleted it not too long ago.

Thanks.

Here's a Fire Strike and Unigine Superposition score -
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjLCgZ8P-HziiFYMHjnD5D-lzQCY?e=rRF38Q

Also, my Vega 64 is literally whisper quiet. Even my CPU rad. fans are barely audible. I purposely built this system out to be quiet at overclocked, full load. If you're adventurous, you could do the same with your 5700xt, maybe even netting higher performance in the process.

Killed me on physics score because I have a gen 1 ryzen but the GPU results are virtually identical with my 5700xt on the underclocked silent bios.
I'll do the overclocked one when I have chance.
CPU peaked at 56c, gpu at 58c, my system is already silent running in a fractal define r4.

Aug 22, 2020
No, they were running just fine but it really makes no sense because under stress the GPU was a little overclocked and my CPU was running fine at 3.8ghz

Hmmm. Can you try a limited boot? Go into task manager - startup - disable everything there, except maybe your GPU software. Reboot and log in. WAIT 5 minutes without opening anything (this allows the 'delayed start' services to properly start and settle down).
Run Userbenchmark again and post a link to the results.

Aug 22, 2020
Hmmm. Can you try a limited boot? Go into task manager - startup - disable everything there, except maybe your GPU software. Reboot and log in. WAIT 5 minutes without opening anything (this allows the 'delayed start' services to properly start and settle down).
Run Userbenchmark again and post a link to the results.

Yes, ill try that when I get home and I will post the results later tonight.

Aug 22, 2020
Yeah, in bios it's running at 2666mhz and in a-XMP. I don't know I just don't remember stuttering this much and having so many fps drops I just feel like it's not performing how it should.

Aug 22, 2020
Do you think its the graphics card that is holding my system back and I should buy a new one? Maybe there was something wrong with the 5700xt but who knows I think either way I want to buy a new graphics card but the problem is I don't want it to underperform if there is something else in my system that is not making it perform to its full capability.