[SOLVED] Is my 5700xt under-performing or is it something else?

Aug 22, 2020
I recently bought a brand new gigabyte 3fan 5700 xt. I used to have a gtx 1060 3gb and I was stuttering in games and lagging a lot so I thought I would buy a new graphics card. Turns out this did not help at all. I am still stuttering in most games and my fps barley had any boost to it and I'm still lagging. I've done almost everything uninstalled the old Nvidia graphics card drivers and I've tried finding a solution but nothing works... I feel like a should have a huge FPS boost and there should be no more stuttering but that's not the case.

Any suggestions?

PC SPECS

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: Msi a320m pro vh plus

GPU: Gigabyte 5700xt

Ram; 2x8 gb ddr4 2666 mhz

storage: 1tb samsung ssd

Solution
Well from all the parts depending on the case mobo form factor that can go in most parts could be reused.

Possible way to go for a start mobo and ram.
Going to a b450 up would give you the ability to run the 2600 pbo/xfr2 or bios Oc.
Not quite sure on the cooler thermal rating so Oc ?

As far as ram
I started with a 2600x and G.skill Flare X 3200 cl14 non-rgb and that ram is in my son's system with a 3600 on a
msi b450 pro carbon ac.

The flare x 3200 cl14 is GFX on most mobo memory Qvls.
3200 cl14 is almost as good as 3600 cl16 numbers wise.
Gamers Nexus stated if the price was to high for 3600 cl16 then save some money and go with the 3200.

Now as I stated early in this thread 3200 for a r5 2600 no problem.

R5 3600 to 3950...

zachariasdavid

Commendable
Aug 29, 2020
It may be your processor that is the bottleneck. Ryzen (mainly gen 1 & 2) needs fast ram, running ram at 2666 is not recommended and I know that you will see substantial improvement with some faster ram.

If your ram is rated for it try and use XMP in the bios to get it up to speed, however, if your ram is only rated for 2666 then don't.

When you are stuttering in games what resolution and general settings are you running them at?

Aug 22, 2020
Hey man thanks for responding, I already sent the 5700xt back and got my money back because I didn’t have a lot of time to return it and it was performing very bad so I sent it back. I really want to play games on higher settings and I don’t want to stutter what graphics card do you recommend and do you think I should get 3200mhz ram or try something else? anyways thanks for responding!

zachariasdavid

Commendable
Aug 29, 2020
A 5700XT or 2070 Super with 3200 (preferably 3600) Ram would be optimal. Depending on your budget of course.

If you upgrade to faster ram you will see a BIG gain in performance. (Second gen ryzen as you have loves 3600 ram)

Nvidia generally has more stable drivers so I would recommend the 2070 super over the RX 5700XT. I just spent 8h or so getting my own 5700XT working again after a driver failure...

Hope that helps :)

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
The stuttering you are facing is probably being caused by high temps which affected the cpu and gpu performance.

Getting a faster RAM is nice but not a priority for gaming, I would suggest to invest into a better gpu like the 2070 Super, or you can get the 2060 Super with a RAM of 3200MHz CL14-16.

Personally I have the 2060 Super and I can say it is the perfect gpu in terms of quality/price for 1080p gaming.

You can always try ryzen dram calculator and see if you can get some more out of your current ram before going out and purchasing new ram.
[URL="http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-ryzen-dram-calculator.html[/URL]"]www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-ryzen-dram-calculator.html[/URL]
You will also need thiaphoon burner to get your ram specs. ( do the freware version)
http://www.softnology.biz/files.html
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTekAB1Zzc[/URL]"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTekAB1Zzc[/URL]

What are your systems temps for the Cpu and Gpu. Amd cards have a nasty habbit of running hot which in turn can make the cpu run warmer.
Have you tried a more aggressive fan curve on both the cpu/gpu.

Aug 22, 2020
Hey man sorry, I just got back to you... My temps for my CPU used to be around 40 idle and 80 while under full load. I recently purchased an aftermarket cooler and my temps are around 35 idle and the highest is 60 when gaming. When I got my AMD card not too long ago the temps were pretty cool around 60-70 under full load. My gtx 1060 gets hot though around 80 when gaming but it still performed the same as the 5700xt so that's why I sent the 5700xt back... any more suggestions on what I should do I was thinking about buying a 2060 super any thoughts?

As Zac asked What settings are you tying to run ?
Does the lag still happen on medium settings?
80c on both cards makes me think theres not enough cooling or a more aggressive fan curve needs to be tried.
Try Msi afterburner without any Oc on the card with a more aggressive fan profile.

Aug 22, 2020
I already sent the card back so I can't do any benchmarks or anything Do you want me to run the benchmark with my 1060? I just want more frames and less stuttering and that's why I thought a graphics card might help but not the 5700xt for me.

Aug 22, 2020
Maybe it's not the GPU but I did already send it back. I have no clue at this point My gtx 1060 3gb stutters even on all low settings and I still get fps drops any way to fix it? I have no clue if its something else but geez I need help.

Hey thanks for running userbench for us.
Yes that is puzzling over all
only a 3% background use
the cpu is not that far from it's turbo boost of 3.9ghz,
your ram is running at what it is rated for,
and clearly something is holding the gpu'S back
Your system drive is 3/4 full but I don't know if it's the sole cause of the gpu low score.

on that mobo do you have Pbo or xfr options in the bios?
it looks like you can use more help then what I can give.

Reactions: PS2673
Try rebooting your computer from time to time. ;)

Also, it looks like you're overclocking your old GPU. It may be downclocking after hitting a thermal/electrical limit. Try resetting your GPU to default speeds. Run GPU-Z in the background and log the speeds as you're benchmarking to see what it's doing under stress.

Last edited:
Alright, ill try that also I have another question do you think if I buy a new GPU it will fix my stuttering and fps drop?

I'd like to say yes but if you had issues with a 5700xt aswell then the GPU isn't the problem.

I have a 5700xt, it absolutely eclipses the rx 580 8gb (which is better than your 1060) it replaced.
Literally twice as powerful, I can max any game and still hit around 80fps absolutely minimum at 1080p.