[SOLVED] Is my 5700xt under-performing or is it something else?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 22, 2020
I recently bought a brand new gigabyte 3fan 5700 xt. I used to have a gtx 1060 3gb and I was stuttering in games and lagging a lot so I thought I would buy a new graphics card. Turns out this did not help at all. I am still stuttering in most games and my fps barley had any boost to it and I'm still lagging. I've done almost everything uninstalled the old Nvidia graphics card drivers and I've tried finding a solution but nothing works... I feel like a should have a huge FPS boost and there should be no more stuttering but that's not the case.

Any suggestions?

PC SPECS

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: Msi a320m pro vh plus

GPU: Gigabyte 5700xt

Ram; 2x8 gb ddr4 2666 mhz

storage: 1tb samsung ssd

Solution
Well from all the parts depending on the case mobo form factor that can go in most parts could be reused.

Possible way to go for a start mobo and ram.
Going to a b450 up would give you the ability to run the 2600 pbo/xfr2 or bios Oc.
Not quite sure on the cooler thermal rating so Oc ?

As far as ram
I started with a 2600x and G.skill Flare X 3200 cl14 non-rgb and that ram is in my son's system with a 3600 on a
msi b450 pro carbon ac.

The flare x 3200 cl14 is GFX on most mobo memory Qvls.
3200 cl14 is almost as good as 3600 cl16 numbers wise.
Gamers Nexus stated if the price was to high for 3600 cl16 then save some money and go with the 3200.

Now as I stated early in this thread 3200 for a r5 2600 no problem.

R5 3600 to 3950...
I'am running out of things you can try without you opening your wallet.
You have already tried another Gpu and got the same thing but with lower gpu temp.
If you try to use the Oem win product key with a retail version of win most of the time it will not activate Windows,

1 possible option which still is no guarantee and could still be of a benifit for the system would be to purchase a SSD of your choice/size and a
8gb min or bigger flashdrive ( for Iso ) or 2 so you can back up/ copy any files you will need or don't want to lose.

Download the win 10 2004 ISO media creation tool.
Shut down / remove the current os ssd.
Then install new drive and install windows on it.
Then get the 1 game you know both Gpu's stuttered on and try it out.

If it doesn't work you can wipe the drive and then put your games on it, so in the end it would be a good purchase as you could free up space that is really needed on your os drive now.

If it works then it was something in windows and you can Purchase a product key and activate the win 10 you just installed.

If you go this route check Pcpartspicker for prices of a drive that Best Buy Has in stock the in Vegas,
because they will Price Match online competion.
I have bought parts and priced matched at the register with the person who pulled the parts.
Look at your total game sizes in GB to know how big of a ssd to get.
(Remember leave extra space) if the total of all games is 275gb's go a 500gb or 1tb especially for new games.

I would think right now it will be somewhere about this time tomorrow night before I can run my 860 evo for comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: alceryes
Aug 22, 2020
No, I really haven't ever thought about it but so what would I do just buy a 500gb maybe 1tb ssd and put a brand new clean install of windows on it? Would I have to buy the official Os key that's like $100 or can I buy a knock off one that's the same but is way cheaper?

Aug 22, 2020
Got the SSD in the mail this morning plugged it in and unplugged the other one and put cod on it (a game that was stuttering) and tested... same results it still stuttered and I was playing for 30 min and it felt the exact same as last time ended up wiping that drive so I just plugged back in my other one then plugged the other one in so now I have extra storage on the other SSD which I will take. It seems like it would have to be a problem with the graphics card at this point... But who knows.

MY Head is spinning??????????
And I can feel your frustration.

Give this a read and see if there has been anything overlooked.

At this point seing how even a clean install didn't help there isn't a lot left we can do without you digging deeper into your wallet I can think of.

You can always try another Gpu at any time it is your system but if it does the same thing I definitely would be rebuilding.

Aug 22, 2020
Yeah I've tried everything on the call of duty settings put everything to the lowest it was at what it used to be and it felt the exact same. I guess ill eventually just try a new GPU and if that doesn't work I guess I can send it back or just rebuild or something. I would rather wait if I was going to get a GPU for maybe the newer ones to come out like eventually isn't there supposed to be an RTX 3060 or is that just a rumor?