[SOLVED] Is my 5700XT under performing?

sambo.durcan

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Hello there, recently I had purchased Monster Hunter: World and I noticed that I was getting at least 50 - 60 FPS on the game, this concerned me as I looked at a lot of benchmarks on YouTube prior to my purchase and saw that the game ran at 110 - 130 FPS on the videos.
I am completely fine with 60 FPS but I was just curious if my GPU was under performing . I did uninstall and reinstall present and past drivers to see if that resolved the issue but did not.
I also thought that my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU but when running MH:W only 40 - 50% of my CPU was being used, so It wasn't bottlenecking I think?
Temps were also ok as well as my GPU was running at 61C and my CPU also 55- 60C
My system specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X 4Ghz
GPU: Radeon RX Red Devil 5700XT by PowerColor Driver Version: 20.4.2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x8 2133Mhz
PSU: Corsair RMX650
Mobo: ROG Strix B-450F BIOS VERSION: 3003 2019/12/26

Im not very technical so sorry if the information I give for my question is unclear in anyway.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this has been happening in all of my games that I play. My bad.

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for your reply, I checked my dual switch and it was set on SILENT so I set it on OC but I still see no difference in performance.
Im starting to lean towards the RAM speed being the issue and if i solve that problem it could be the potential fix.
Thanks again though.
Its a pricey gamble. Yes 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen do benefit from faster RAM, but I do not see how that would make a 60+ FPS difference. I could see 10-15 FPS max. From what I understand Monster Hunter has a bug (idk if its fixed) with Full Screen, and many use border less, you may want to try this.

I am not sure if this was discussed but what do you have the in game graphics set to? And if you are on one of the higher settings did you try putting the...

sambo.durcan

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Thanks for your reply!

I increased my RAM clock speed to 2800Mhz and It didn't make a difference.
My friend has a 2060 paired with RAM at 2400Mhz and he seems to be getting a stable 90 - 100 FPS in the most intensive areas of the game.

sambo.durcan

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Now that I actually look at the RAM speeds in the video they are all at 3200Mhz.
I would increase my RAM speed to 3200Mhz but my motherboard wont let me even though it says on the product description I can OC to 3200Mhz by setting a D.O.C.P profile.
Edit: Forgot to mention that setting this profile still didnt work for me, as In my PC failed to boot and my RAM settings were restored. This method worked for a lot of other people though with the same motherboard as me.

Last edited:

poorbugger

Distinguished
Now that I actually look at the RAM speeds in the video they are all at 3200Mhz.
I would increase my RAM speed to 3200Mhz but my motherboard wont let me even though it says on the product description I can OC to 3200Mhz by setting a D.O.C.P profile.
Edit: Forgot to mention that setting this profile still didnt work for me, as In my PC failed to boot and my RAM settings were restored. This method worked for a lot of other people though with the same motherboard as me.
You cant oc your ram to 3200mhz if it's originally 2133mhz. Unless the product packaging says that it's 3200mhz then by default on boot, it will be 2133mhz. You have to enable xmp in the bios for it to hit 3200mhz and that's for 3200mhz ram as advertised.

Reactions: Pim van Hilten
A 60hz monitor will only get you 60fps.
Well, more precisely, it will only update the image 60 times per second, and if v-sync is turned on, it will limit the frame rate to that amount. The v-sync setting would be something to check though.

Is the game even running at the exact same resolution and graphics settings though? Running at a higher resolution like 1440p or 4K will definitely cut into frame rates compared to a system running at 1080p.

sambo.durcan

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
I have a 144hz monitor and the games in game graphical settings are at high. Although I changed some settings already such as: Anti Aliasing off, Dx12 off and V-sync off.
As for my resolution: It is set at 1920x1080.

Jul 7, 2020
Have you checked what Windows has your refresh rate set to? The only reason I ask is because I have had Windows default to 59hz on a 144 hz monitor and a 60 hz monitor.

sambo.durcan

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
check in your AMD graphics driver if you haven't activalted frame limit or "chill" function
that would limit your FPS
unknown.png

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
This card has a dual bios. Is it set to silent mode or OC mode?
If it is set on silent then power down the PC and flip the switch to put it on OC mode.
If it is already on OC then you can try a different driver. AMD has all the drivers on their website. I just don't recommend 20.5.1, it tanked my performance. 20.4.2 works best for me, but I have a Gigabyte card so your experience may be different.

sambo.durcan

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
This card has a dual bios. Is it set to silent mode or OC mode?
If it is set on silent then power down the PC and flip the switch to put it on OC mode.
If it is already on OC then you can try a different driver. AMD has all the drivers on their website. I just don't recommend 20.5.1, it tanked my performance. 20.4.2 works best for me, but I have a Gigabyte card so your experience may be different.
Thanks for your reply, I checked my dual switch and it was set on SILENT so I set it on OC but I still see no difference in performance.
Im starting to lean towards the RAM speed being the issue and if i solve that problem it could be the potential fix.
Thanks again though.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Thanks again though.
Its a pricey gamble. Yes 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen do benefit from faster RAM, but I do not see how that would make a 60+ FPS difference. I could see 10-15 FPS max. From what I understand Monster Hunter has a bug (idk if its fixed) with Full Screen, and many use border less, you may want to try this.

I am not sure if this was discussed but what do you have the in game graphics set to? And if you are on one of the higher settings did you try putting the graphics on LOW? If you put the graphics settings on low and don't see a minimum average of 100 FPS then I would think there is an issue with the card, or there is a frame rate lock that isn't being accounted for.

Solution

sambo.durcan

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019

I am not sure if this was discussed but what do you have the in game graphics set to? And if you are on one of the higher settings did you try putting the graphics on LOW? If you put the graphics settings on low and don't see a minimum average of 100 FPS then I would think there is an issue with the card, or there is a frame rate lock that isn't being accounted for.
Hi, I turned down all of my settings to LOW and I fixed the bug with border less mode and I only saw a tiny increase in fps (around 4 -6) so it could well possibly be a problem with my card, I have a spare RX 590 Im going to run the game with to see what kind of fps I get from that card. Thanks.

edit: Prior to me changing all of my graphics settings they were all on HIGH.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Hi, I turned down all of my settings to LOW and I fixed the bug with border less mode and I only saw a tiny increase in fps (around 4 -6) so it could well possibly be a problem with my card, I have a spare RX 590 Im going to run the game with to see what kind of fps I get from that card. Thanks.

edit: Prior to me changing all of my graphics settings they were all on HIGH.
cool let us know

BitCrit

Reputable
Jul 7, 2020
Hello there, recently I had purchased Monster Hunter: World and I noticed that I was getting at least 50 - 60 FPS on the game, this concerned me as I looked at a lot of benchmarks on YouTube prior to my purchase and saw that the game ran at 110 - 130 FPS on the videos.
I am completely fine with 60 FPS but I was just curious if my GPU was under performing . I did uninstall and reinstall present and past drivers to see if that resolved the issue but did not.
I also thought that my CPU was bottlenecking my GPU but when running MH:W only 40 - 50% of my CPU was being used, so It wasn't bottlenecking I think?
Temps were also ok as well as my GPU was running at 61C and my CPU also 55- 60C
My system specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X 4Ghz
GPU: Radeon RX Red Devil 5700XT by PowerColor Driver Version: 20.4.2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x8 2133Mhz
PSU: Corsair RMX650
Mobo: ROG Strix B-450F BIOS VERSION: 3003 2019/12/26

Im not very technical so sorry if the information I give for my question is unclear in anyway.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this has been happening in all of my games that I play. My bad.
Use a virus checker. I would use MalwareBytes. If you have even one virus it would help a ton. You could also disable background apps. Search up FPS boost videos if the virus checker doesn’t work. Should help a lot as every gamer uses those tips.

Last edited:

sambo.durcan

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
cool let us know
I seem to have solved the FPS issue in every other game and the RAM clock speed issue.
For the RAM clock speed I just put the RAM into slots A2 AND B2.
As for the FPS issue, I just let AMD automatically detect and install the drivers I needed. I dont know how this fixed it, but it did.

The only problem I have now is that Monster Hunter World is ironically the only game that crashes my PC at launch.
So I am currently looking into solutions for that.
Thanks for all of your help! :)