Is my 6700k toasty?

RektSkrubz

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
After reapplying thermal paste 3 times (Antec Formula 7) and remounting my H7 tightly, my 6700k was idling around 45C, but now since I am using Arctic Silver 5, my full load temps are about 70C, but my idle remains about 45C, but seems to be dropping slightly. Is this just due to the thermal paste curing?

Are these temps acceptible? (Also, is 4.5GHz at 1.31V considered good?)

Thanks!

What is your ambient (room) temperature? How is your cable management inside the case? Do you have case fans (intake and exhaust)? You could try to take off the side panel of the case and point a room fan at the motherboard and see what your idle temps are. If significantly lower, then you may need to look at cable management and case fan configurations.

RektSkrubz

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

Almost perfect cable management with cablemod cables, room temp is ~22C, I have 3 fans for exhaust and 3 fans for intake with custom curves for them to not spin while not in game (postponing the time until i have to clean it). If I wasn't both a clean freak and audiophile, I'd probably have the case fans on 24/7, but I love to just look at my PC.