is my 9900k overclock safe?

pumbafriis

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018
I have overclocked my 9900k to 5ghz on all cores with 1.332 V and LLC on 7 hitting max 77 under full load. is this safe and will this OC affect the lifetime of my CPU much?

Solution
Yeah it is...you may be able to lower cpu Vcore even further because of this. We were hoping for this to happen...So under load Voltage gets a kick up higher and doesn't drop as low idling to increase stablity. In theory you can use lower Vcores for the same OC because of this. But your on your last level of load line calibration so you won't get much further on lowering the voltage. Question does going to 7 allow you to lower the Vcore low enough to make a difference in heat and overall CPU voltage.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Looks pretty good...high voltage is what will reduce the life. 1.33 is a BIT high (i've seen 1.3 is pretty standard), but nothing crazy. Voltage OK, temps good (depending on what you mean by "full load"...like full prime95 load?). Should be ok, but make sure to stress with something like p95 or RealBench.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
That is a reasonable temp but the voltage is literally right on/over (1.3V or less for me) the line of as high as I like to go for a 24/7 OC. But I know there are those who say up to 1.34 or so is OK too so some of this is on your comfort level.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

LOL I saw your voltage...right in line with my thoughts.

pumbafriis

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018

Is there any settings that can help with getting the voltage down a bit?

pumbafriis

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018

LLC on 6 not 7

lwq4x3

lwq57p

lwq5fq

lwq5qm

pumbafriis

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018

I'm now trying out 1.310 V with LLC 7 but acording to CPUZ the voltage sometimes spikes to 1.350 is this normal?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Yeah it is...you may be able to lower cpu Vcore even further because of this. We were hoping for this to happen...So under load Voltage gets a kick up higher and doesn't drop as low idling to increase stablity. In theory you can use lower Vcores for the same OC because of this. But your on your last level of load line calibration so you won't get much further on lowering the voltage. Question does going to 7 allow you to lower the Vcore low enough to make a difference in heat and overall CPU voltage.

Solution

pumbafriis

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018

I'm sitting at 66-77 degrees under load, not sure what you mean with overall cpu voltage

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
So when your under load your CPU voltage will peak at it's highest and dip when idle. With or without load line calibration. LLC just allows the voltage to not dip or spike as much. Giving you a higher steadier voltage overall during operation but bringing down the Vcore being used so you CPU isn't hit with those extreme dips and spikes as much. Making it stabler at lower Vcores. It's always sounds backwards to me but it works. It will work your motherboard and PSU harder but this is true of any OC.

pumbafriis

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018

I got the voltage down to 1.275 with the highest spike being 1.314 running intel extreme utility stress test

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Now that's what i was talking about right there!!!!

pumbafriis

Prominent
Mar 22, 2018

Thank's for taking time to help me:)