[SOLVED] Is my 9th gen cpu still working?

Patrickibsen

Reputable
Jan 11, 2020
I've tried running my i7-9700k with an old bios z370 and wondering if i possible damaged it some how or if its all good and just need a bios update or new mobo

Solution
There will be no damage but you will need a cpu that is compatible with the current BIOS (8th gen cpu) to do the BIOS update as I don’t see any flashback feature on that motherboard.
I've tried running my i7-9700k with an old bios z370 and wondering if i possible damaged it some how or if its all good and just need a bios update or new mobo
You likely need to update the bios on the motherboard before your 9700k will work on your Z370. If you bought a Z370 instead of Z390, try to return it and get a Z390 board instead. The motherboard may support a bios flashing without a CPU installed. Post the model of the motherboard.

Patrickibsen

Reputable
Jan 11, 2020
You likely need to update the bios on the motherboard before your 9700k will work on your Z370. If you bought a Z370 instead of Z390, try to return it and get a Z390 board instead. The motherboard may support a bios flashing without a CPU installed. Post the model of the motherboard.
Z370 Aorus gaming k3 rev 1.0

Endre

Reputable
Normally, the 9th gen Intel CPUs are backwards compatible with the 8th gen Intel motherboards.
However to be able to use an 8th gen motherboard, you’ll need to update your BIOS to the latest version.

BUT: If you can replace your 8th gen mobo with a 9th gen, then do that! It’s better on the long run.