Is my Acer AX1420-U5832 Upgradeable to 8gb RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adoga

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Is my Acer AX1420-U5832 Upgradeable to 8gb RAM? I've read in multiple places online that have said both Yes and No. The manufacturer says no, but others say yes.

Does anyone here actually OWN one of these that can confirm that it can be upgraded to 2x4gb memory modules?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Solution

I own one and just tried to install 2 x 4GB sticks of Crucial RAM. It only recognized 4GB total. I actually read that it was upgradable to 8GB which is why I purchased the PC and RAM, but turned out that wasn't the case. Crucial confirmed it with their memory scanner once I got the PC.

emsyste

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

I own one and just tried to install 2 x 4GB sticks of Crucial RAM. It only recognized 4GB total. I actually read that it was upgradable to 8GB which is why I purchased the PC and RAM, but turned out that wasn't the case. Crucial confirmed it with their memory scanner once I got the PC.

Solution

adoga

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

You saved me the hassle of doing the same thing. That's really too bad though! i didn't want to hear that. Is is possible it's the wrong type of ram?

emsyste

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
yea I was really disappointed when I turned everything back on. When I had it installed, up and running with the 8GB inside it still recognized one slot of 4GB. So the RAM seemed to the right one. I also did the Crucial Memory Scanner tool from their website. It confirmed that I had the right spec'd RAM, but also unfortunately told me that the motherboard holds 4GB max (2 x 2GB slots). For now, it's enough for what I need to do considering i bought my last PC 5 years ago, but I imagine I will buy a new one to replace this in another 2 years as my needs have increased.

adoga

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Good PC, lame memory restriction. thanks for being the guinea pig for all of us on the internet.

emsyste

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
It is a nice, inexpensive PC with a lot of bang for the buck. I love it, no complaints so far. Just won't be another 5 year commitment I imagine. But for today it is more than enough. :)

lamesystems

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Is it possible that a BIOS upgrade could resolve the RAM size restriction? Or is the restriction not in the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.