Question Is my aio broken? If so what aio should i buy for the i9 13900k?

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
My i9 13900k instantly hits 100C with high/meduim load when playing games.
My cooler currently is the Corsair 360mm H150i RGB PRO XT but i suspect its on its way out because of the high temps even with fans at 100% at all times.
My motherboard is the msi z690 pro ddr4.
My case is the phanteks enthoo 2
My bios is the latest version aka 7D25v192
the aio is at the top of the case and there is airflow also i recently de-dusted it

my pc:
View: https://imgur.com/7G92NM4

I tried to tilt the radiator to see if there were any air locks but no luck and I have definitely applied enough thermal paste.
The cooling block has been re-seated 3 times and i tightened the screws in a crisscross pattern and each time I removed the cooling block the thermal paste shows there was an even spread of paste
With CPU at 100C, after 10 mins of playing the coolant goes from 23C to 27C which seems low

in the image below you can see when i started to push the CPU(100C) at 100% usage and it lasted 10 minutes(fans and pump were both at 100%)
View: https://imgur.com/fN9oJGk

1. is my aio broken?
  2. if i have to replace it, what would be the best 360mm or 420mm aio for the i9 13900k?
Edit: i have watched HWmonitor and when it hits 100C it is thermal throttling to 5ghz or even down to 4.3ghz at times
most of the other people with the i9 can get 5.5ghz to 5.8ghz while at 100C with smaller radiators

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
How is the AIO orientated in your case? BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of your case? You might want to also see if the air coming through the radiator(via the fans) are cool or warm, same story as to whether the radiator is warm to the touch.

If you're unsure, please include an image of the fans in your case. Some people tend to reverse the flow of air.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
CPU sitting at 100C is the new norm. At least with 13900K.

Intel's chips are designed to sustain these temperatures over the span of their warranty, and as we've seen with Ryzen 7000's penchant for running at 95C at stock settings, higher temperatures have become the norm as the chipmakers battle for supremacy. Temperatures can limit your performance during stock operation, so if you purchase the 13900K, plan for a powerful cooler to extract the full performance. ABT uplift will vary by chip — much of the frequency uplift depends upon the quality of your chip. Hence, the silicon lottery comes into play, along with cooling and power delivery capabilities.
Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-13900k-i5-13600k-cpu-review/3

Yolo_gamer

Prominent
Oct 12, 2021
How is the AIO orientated in your case? BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of your case? You might want to also see if the air coming through the radiator(via the fans) are cool or warm, same story as to whether the radiator is warm to the touch.

If you're unsure, please include an image of the fans in your case. Some people tend to reverse the flow of air.
i have watched HWmonitor and when it hits 100C it is thermal throttling to 5ghz or even down to 4.3ghz at times
most of the other reviews can get 5.5ghz to 5.8ghz while at 100C with smaller radiators

Last edited: