[SOLVED] Is my ASUS R9 280X FRIED? and GPU recommendations.

zaakat

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask if you think my graphics card is fried or if you think it can be repaired via drivers or something, since I bought it it had checkerboard patterns from time to time and now it just did this. I removed it and used the motherboard integrated graphics and it works ok so it is the graphic card.

Here is the link to the video where you can see what the problem is:
View: https://youtu.be/g1HQ_yABGEU

some photos:

https://ibb.co/T0ynyJd

https://ibb.co/pR5GVyz

Thanks in advance, and in case it is fried, could you please recommend a GPU based on your experience? I just don't feel comfortable buying an AMD again.

I mostly do soft video editing, play games and web design.

Thanks again!

If it is working with the onboard video card then the GPUs VRAM is most likely bad.

As for a recommendation it depends on budget. The GTX 10 sderies are all good chips but the cost will determine what will work for you. Either way a GPU upgrade might be a good thing as the R9280X is pretty old by today's standards.

Reactions: zaakat

zaakat

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
If it is working with the onboard video card then the GPUs VRAM is most likely bad.

As for a recommendation it depends on budget. The GTX 10 sderies are all good chips but the cost will determine what will work for you. Either way a GPU upgrade might be a good thing as the R9280X is pretty old by today's standards.

Thank you very much for your fast reply Mr. jimmysmitty :D.
About the new graphics card, I was just analizing the fact that my motherboard and CPU are also quite old GA78-LMT-USB3 + FX8350 and it most likely won't support anything new, so I guess the best option is to buy a new MOBO, CPU and GPU altogether.

Could you please recommend me a setup that could last me at least around 5 years? Prefered budget around 1,000 to 1,500 USD - I'm not swimming in money but I'm willing to spend an extra buck for a quality product.

Thanks again (y)

One question, would you be OK with an AMD CPU or just want to move away from AMD altogether? They have a pretty decent CPU lineup and are priced fairly well.

As for 5 years, thats hard to pinpoint without going very top end parts but most decent high end CPUs and GPUs should last.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.19 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($140.57 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.08 @ Newegg Business)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg Business)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1496.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-19 09:30 EST-0500

At the $1500 price mark, I'd do something like this. Obviously, different choices can be made, such as going with a 2060 and upgrade the storage or motherboard or wherever you want to go. Or to come down lower in the $1000-$1500 range. Think of this as a starting point based on your needs.

AMD CPUs are also excellent right now, so I can recommend an AMD build at whatever price you want, but given that you weren't comfortable with the GPU, I didn't take the chance.

$1500 buys you a lot of PC relative to your current one. Even $1000 does, though obviously there are a few more compromises there.

Let us know if there are parts in there that are candidates to come to a new build as it allows that money to go either into the new build or into your pocket. Primarily the traditional hard drive (your old PC won't have the M.2 of course), power supply if you have a quality one, and a case if you already have a good aftermarket one (retrofitting an OEM case almost always is a lot more trouble than its worth).

I'm also assuming that your WIndows 10 is either a copy you bought or an upgrade from an OEM copy of an earlier version (the parts are too old to make an OEM Windows 10 install likely). Microsoft loosened the restrictions on moving upgraded WIndows 10s that were OEM, so they all have a generic license that will work with your existing Microsoft account. New PCs from Dell, hp, etc. that have WIndows 10 don't get the same privilege. Again, $90 is more fun in your build or your pocket than used to buy a new copy of WIndows 10!

Last edited:
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And just to reinforce what Jimmy said, I agree that your GPU is ready for its last rites. The 280x is power hungry and hot and they eventually work themselves to death one way or another (I had a 7970 GHz edition, essentially the same GPU, that even died in the same way).

zaakat

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Hey, thank you very much for such an in depth reply Mr. DSzymborski & Jimmy, it is very helpful!

I removed the card and cleansed througly, tested it and found out that the fans are no longer spinning, removed them altogether and just put a big floor fan facing towards my now fanless GPU and it worked, haha, so I guess it is indeed just living its last days. Searched for aftermarket gpu coolers but I think it is not worth the investment since there is no guarantee that it will not fry eventually, and my pc setup is just too old to fit a new GPU inside. After all, I have around 6 years with it.

About AMD I used to always choose AMD, but man... this last time with this semi faulty GPU and CPU that both overheated and sounded like a blender ( had to buy a noctua cooler that costed me half the price of the cpu - the same one that you recommended me) made me want to just change brand altogether. Either way, I will read more about their new CPUs as you recommended me. It doesn't help that I live in a very hot and humid place too.

About the components, I already have a Coolermaster 750w Power Source, and many SSD's & HDD's, the noctua cooler you recommended me and the windows licence, so I guess your recommendations can very well adjust to my budget, and I also think it is a better idea to buy a new case. Hopefully it will be a lot less $$ than what I thought.

Thank you very much for your help, I'm not an expert and this forum has always been very helpful :D(y)!

TRENDING THREADS