[SOLVED] Is My Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming overvolting CPU at stock?

AlexKrok

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hi everyone,

i built a new gaming pc about a month ago:

Ryzen 5-3600 W stock cooler
ASUS TUF b450-Plus Gaming
Nvidia 1660TI

I noted that the stock voltage being suplied in UEFI to the CPU is over 1.4. Is this too high as per this youtube article here (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssuqhyqah2k&feature=emb_logo
- around 3-4 minute mark). The bios also reads the temp as over 50 degrees but at rest temp is much lower from desktop. All AI Tweaker settings are auto except for DRAM which is set to 1.350. Under Hardware Monitor on the AI Tweaker bios page, I can see the CPU voltage at 1.449v

-I just got the new beta HWinfo 32 bit (for some reason 64bit does not work on my windows 10 pc) and running cinebench I can see power deviation stays above 95% (yay)
-Gaming temps are between 60-70 degrees
-Cinebench gets up to about 86
-On desktop at rest, I am around 38-40 degrees

Do I need to worry about that stock voltage reading in the bios (all settings are set to auto except the DRAM, no manual oc applied). I know the stock cooler isnt great but I am fine with the temps i am getting in gaming since that is what i am doing primarily. gaming voltage seems to be between 1.36 - 1.38 with some jumps up to 1.4 (when checking hwinfo) and ryzen master shows it doesnt go above 1.38 when gaming. cinebench drops voltage to 1.30-1.32.

At idle ryzen master shows the voltage at 1.0 or under with 5 of the 6 cpus on sleep.

Regards,

Solution
My advice would be to disable Power boost overdrive. This is the likely reason it is doing that. Also, make SURE you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed. You can, and should, leave the stock XFR2 power boost profile enabled in the BIOS. The gains from overdrive are minimal comparatively but it allows much higher power window and voltage. Especially with the stock cooler. Once you have good aftermarket cooling, then feel free to revisit PBO(2).
My advice would be to disable Power boost overdrive. This is the likely reason it is doing that. Also, make SURE you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed. You can, and should, leave the stock XFR2 power boost profile enabled in the BIOS. The gains from overdrive are minimal comparatively but it allows much higher power window and voltage. Especially with the stock cooler. Once you have good aftermarket cooling, then feel free to revisit PBO(2).

Solution

AlexKrok

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I have ensured that PBO is now disabled. I thought it was disabled at auto, but I re-ran Gears Tactics with ryzen master at standard and then by applying PBO and can see that my latest bench I am about 5 fps lower with standard vs PBO enabled. I will re-check the bios version and go back to the bios to see if its still above 1.4

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS