Question is my bad hard disk responsible for "false" memory usage failures

Sep 11, 2021
View: https://imgur.com/a/tvz5CTS

hello there :) my understanding of these types of things are limited. so, try to explain things as simply as possible, if you can.

around May 2021, i noticed my computer was unable to run video games like it always has. this was rather sudden, over the course of a couple weeks. so i uninstalled a bunch of video games i didnt play anymore. i cleared up a terabyte of info, mostly games and some pictures, documents, and other programs i had installed that i didnt use anymore. i did this through the "uninstall programs" feature on windows, then went over again into steam & origin and ran their uninstall option as well for the games.

it just got worse, though. i have always been able to run these games on ultra high graphics and now suddenly, they were crashing non-stop. i could start the menu, but once i tried to get into the game, severe lag followed by crash. i would receive error messages from time to time, and eventually i pinned down it was a memory issue. it was telling me the games did not have enough memory to run. i could run some games on the lowest graphics settings but still, frequent crashes. all this time, my computer is telling me i have the 8gb of memory.

i freshly installed each game, same problem. for each game, i followed their instructions on how to let the games use more memory, as i know that can be an issue, but that did not change anything. i followed the instructions i was presented with, but i know there still might have been a method i did not try so, please suggest how i might do this if you know.

i opened up task manager while the game was running. it would crash around 65% usage. as i am sitting here now, i have chrome, origin, and a drawing program on and it is running 53%. the program taking up the most that i cant end is antimalware service executable at 115mb.

additionally, if i am running multiple programs, the computer will crash as well. let's say i am running a youtube video, i have the pictures folder open, my drawing program is running, and my 3d modeling program is running. this will cause all the programs to freeze up. the internet page will fail and need restarted. my computer has never had this problem before May 2021 and could handle a LOT more.

if i really push it too far, usually this can happen if i have a youtube video running and i try to start up a video game, some extra weird stuff happens. the screens will turn completely black or white, the monitors will start disconnecting and reconnecting, the resolution will change and not go back. sometimes it will flash between those things. no matter what i try, the only solution is to hold the power button to restart the computer. i avoid pushing the computer like this because i know that is a bad thing to do. but it's getting easier and easier to overwhelm the computer.

i have run virus scans through malwarebytes. yes it is the legitimate program and not a dupe. it has always come up with no issues at all. malwarebytes is completely updated and i run scans regularly. when all of this started, i tried the "error checking" feature. if you go to OS properties > tools > error checking. this caused the computer to do the previously mention "black out" and i had to force restart. i havent done that since because that seems really, really bad :)

today i did disk optimization and the feature to get rid of unnecessary files, that did nothing for me. the optimization did say 20%, i ran it with no issues. it took the longest on page 1 and page 5. but again, it did not fix my programs crashing.

i dont remember how, but i read somewhere that this type of memory issue can be caused by a hard disk problem. i downloaded crystaldiskinfo and saw this caution message pictured above. this was my first time checking with this program so i dont know if this issue had already existed before i started having memory problems. i have been checking it since May 2021 and the numbers have not gotten any worse, they have stayed the same.

so i am wondering, is this hard disk issue the reason my games suddenly cant get enough memory to run, and usual processes are crashing as well? or is it something different that i can fix?

Sep 11, 2021
i will have to wait, as i am running memory diagnostic now and it's taking a while. i posted some info on the picture top left, what else would you like to know? i might he able to remember off the top of my head
i will have to wait, as i am running memory diagnostic now and it's taking a while. i posted some info on the picture top left, what else would you like to know? i might he able to remember off the top of my head
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7atr38tXcusWzoG3F2cJEUY