Question Is my bad PSU making my pc have inconsistent frame rates?

Oct 23, 2022
Hi everyone, I recently bought a new pc which I built myself and being on a low budget, I chose to compromise on some parts more than others. The main one was the PSU (yes I know, crucify me)
My pc has an msi Gtx 1070 itx and an i5-8400. These parts are plenty for the games I play, especially at 1080/60 FPS, or at least they should be...
My average frames in games like Roblox are around 55-60, which sounds wrong because it's a 1070 and a 6 core i5.
Also, my 1% lows are quite low and they make games like CSGO feel quite sluggish. (About 45fps)
Also I ran a Cinebench r23 benchmark and it showed my CPU was running about 700 points lower than it should be (4900-5000 as opposed to 5600-5700)
I'm not sure what the issue is...
My full pc specs are here:
I5-8400
Gtx 1070
16GB ram (2x8gb, 2400mhz kingston memory)
Corsair VS550 power supply (I think this might be the issue but 550W should be enough)
Stock intel cooler (maybe this)
Gigabyte H310M S2H
One internal Arctic F12 silent
Another generic exhaust fan that came with the case
The case is an aerocool cylon mini
Crucial MX500 and a Crucial P2 256GB nvme
Windows 11
I'm thinking of upgrading the PSU to a CX600 or CX650 but I don't know if the issue is the PSU.
If the issue is the PSU, recommendations would help (I am on a tight budget of around £60-£70)
If the cooling is the issue, my budget would be anywhere from £30-£40 max.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, the PSU is a serious concern, but it's unlikely to be causing inconsistent frame rates.

In any case, only a CX 650 would be an upgrade. The considerably junkier CX 600 would not be.

And yes, you picked the worst part to compromise on. It's a bit like choosing whether to get a moonroof for your car or fixing the brakes, and you chose the moonroof.

Has this been a problem from the moment you built the PC? Did you properly install a fresh install of Windows? Can you do a benchmark that allows you to link to the actual results rather than you simply reporting a number, which doesn't give us much information?

Can you provide a more detailed description of the RAM other than an amount? I have no idea what it's clocked at, nor do I know whether it's a proper 2x8 RAM kit or a FrankenRAM situation.

Reactions: Bil00l
Oct 23, 2022
Yeah, the PSU is a serious concern, but it's unlikely to be causing inconsistent frame rates.

In any case, only a CX 650 would be an upgrade. The considerably junkier CX 600 would not be.

And yes, you picked the worst part to compromise on. It's a bit like choosing whether to get a moonroof for your car or fixing the brakes, and you chose the moonroof.

Has this been a problem from the moment you built the PC? Did you properly install a fresh install of Windows? Can you do a benchmark that allows you to link to the actual results rather than you simply reporting a number, which doesn't give us much information?

hi, thanks for the reply, i will definitely consider getting a cx650 👍
this has happened since i built the pc, yes
it was not a fresh windows install, i pulled the ssd from my previous build and put it into this new one
i am quite a noob at this pc stuff, so could you tell me any useful benchmarks to use to really test my system properly?
(i have edited the original post to include the ram specifications)

Low score at Cinebench is most likely caused by slow RAM. However your motherboard does not let you use much faster (2666 max) so you can't get much improvement here without changing motherboard.
However inconsistent frame rate is most likely due to reusing old Windows install. Backup your data, erase the system drive and do a clean Windows install. Then install all relevant drivers and retest.

Reactions: Bil00l

DSzymborski

Titan
hi, thanks for the reply, i will definitely consider getting a cx650 👍
this has happened since i built the pc, yes
it was not a fresh windows install, i pulled the ssd from my previous build and put it into this new one
i am quite a noob at this pc stuff, so could you tell me any useful benchmarks to use to really test my system properly?
(i have edited the original post to include the ram specifications)

First thing to worry about is is to install Windows properly. It's not a modular OS. Eliminating this first is the next course of action; any other benchmarking is a complete waste of time until you do.

Reactions: Flayed