[SOLVED] Is my Bios chip dead?

jimmybaby91

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
Hi guys, few weeks ago my PC started to make some weird stuff. Random restart, variable overclocking, unable to boot or starting to boot and shutdown immediately.

So my I started to check everything, I do a clear cmos, changed the cmos battery, unpluged ram/sata/gpu, removed and replaced the cpu and thermal paste, and nothing changed.

And yesterday I notice that the ''Dr Debug'' makes some weird flashes on the little lcd. The LCD flash constantly, and stay stuck on ''00'' and ''10'' and never stopping flashing, even if I do clear Cmos and everything I wrote.

Sometime my PC agree to boot, for no reasons after 8-10 hours of shutdown, at this moment the ''Dr Debug'' do the job and check the classic ''numbers'', but the PC do some random reboots and I return to the starting point.

So after all the checks, I think it's a faulty Bios Chip, what do you think guys?

Thanks in advance.

Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
i7 - 3770k
2 x 8gb ddr3 1866mhz HyperX
gtx 1080ti Evga ftw3
500gb ssd samsung Evo Sata
1.5tb HDD Western Digital Green

Last edited:
Solution
How long ago did you buy the RAM? If fairly recently, is the RAM on your motherboard's QVL?

If I were you I would still create a MemTest86 bootable USB stick and let it run overnight. Certainly couldn't hurt and doesn't take much effort.

But, if you want to eliminate the PSU as the cause, either try the PSU in another working PC, or borrow a PSU from a friend and try it in yours.

Don't get me wrong, I think it likely is your motherboard, but if you are able to, it's a good idea to eliminate the other components.
Have you run memtest against your RAM? You may need to run version 4.3.7 since your motherboard is a bit old.

MemTest Download Page

You're PSU is not bad but does have just a 5 year warranty. When did you purchase it?

I would suspect your issue is more likely with either your RAM, PSU or motherboard, rather than your BIOS chip.

Or maybe your 1080ti? Have you tried running for extended periods using the integrated graphics on your CPU?

jimmybaby91

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
Have you run memtest against your RAM? You may need to run version 4.3.7 since your motherboard is a bit old.

MemTest Download Page

You're PSU is not bad but does have just a 5 year warranty. When did you purchase it?

I would suspect your issue is more likely with either your RAM, PSU or motherboard, rather than your BIOS chip.

Or maybe your 1080ti? Have you tried running for extended periods using the integrated graphics on your CPU?
The thing is, without RAM, GPU, SATA and CPU the problem stay. The motherboard stuck on the eternal flashing numbers on the Dr Debug screen and can't even check if something is plugged to the motherboard. The last thing I haven't check is the PSU but I bought it 6 years ago.

How long ago did you buy the RAM? If fairly recently, is the RAM on your motherboard's QVL?

If I were you I would still create a MemTest86 bootable USB stick and let it run overnight. Certainly couldn't hurt and doesn't take much effort.

But, if you want to eliminate the PSU as the cause, either try the PSU in another working PC, or borrow a PSU from a friend and try it in yours.

Don't get me wrong, I think it likely is your motherboard, but if you are able to, it's a good idea to eliminate the other components.

Last edited:
Solution
Jimmy is getting more help elsewhere, they seem to be on to something. If your bios stops at 10 then 10 or 11 is not working (see below)
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/438952/Asrock-Z68-Extreme3-Gen3.html?page=46#manual

jimmybaby91

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
Jimmy is getting more help elsewhere, they seem to be on to something. If your bios stops at 10 then 10 or 11 is not working (see below)
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/438952/Asrock-Z68-Extreme3-Gen3.html?page=46#manual
Yes, I asked in many place in order to find a solution and post the answer. Today the Pc run fine but for no reason. The 10/11 error code seems to be related to the Ram or a short somewhere. That's weird because sometimes the PC won't boot at all (for 10 hours sometimes) and sometimes the PC without any problem and stay ok for few days (gaming etc...)