Question Is my brand new 3080 dead?

May 4, 2022
Recently built myself a new lga1700 pc (specs below), however I have a sneaking suspicion that my GPU is a dud :/

Specs
i7-12700K(F)
ZOTAC RTX3080 Amp Holo 10GB
32GB DDR5 5200MHz Kingston Fury BEAST
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
A couple of decent m.2 ssd’s

I have experienced a couple of crashes whilst intensively gaming, and after anything the dump files it looks like it the graphics driver failed to reset which caused the pc to reboot. Most lately this happened today whilst on MSFS, however now my pc won’t post, and the VGA light is solid on the mobo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

D

Deleted member 362816

More likely it's your PSU the 3xxx series do power spike allot. What power supply do you have?

D

Deleted member 362816

Whoops, forgot to include that in my specs, Corsair RM850

Would hope it’s not the PSU as they’re generally pretty solid.

Yeah That is a solid PSU shouldn't be a issue there.

Download furmark or if you have 3d mark run a 20 loop stress test and report back on how it acts.

May 4, 2022
Yeah That is a solid PSU shouldn't be a issue there.

Download furmark or if you have 3d mark run a 20 loop stress test and report back on how it acts.

Maybe I wasn’t specific in my original post, so I appologise. My current issue is the PC will not post after it’s most recent crash, as the VGA light is solid on the motherboard. As such I can’t run any tests :(

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Re-seat graphics card (You would be surprised how often this works, these cards are heavy, and they heat up a lot, they can easily work themselves loose) Check the slot for any debris.
  2. I wouldn't rule out a power supply or cable issue. If you've just put it together you could easily have a loose wire. (I've received power supplies with a pin only loosely in the connector)
  3. Reset BIOS, repeated crashes can do all kinds of things particularly if the PSU was tripping and causing low voltage conditions.

If none of that works, try the card in another computer. If that means taking it to a local shop or borrowing a computer. Otherwise apply for an RMA.

Reactions: jpsta00
May 4, 2022
  1. Re-seat graphics card (You would be surprised how often this works, these cards are heavy, and they heat up a lot, they can easily work themselves loose) Check the slot for any debris.
  2. I wouldn't rule out a power supply or cable issue. If you've just put it together you could easily have a loose wire. (I've received power supplies with a pin only loosely in the connector)
  3. Reset BIOS, repeated crashes can do all kinds of things particularly if the PSU was tripping and causing low voltage conditions.
If none of that works, try the card in another computer. If that means taking it to a local shop or borrowing a computer. Otherwise apply for an RMA.

thank you very much for your advice. I’ll give these steps a go and post my findings :)