[SOLVED] Is my brand new Seagate harddrive failing?

Apr 3, 2020
6ish months ago I built a new pc for my 3d modeling and other cg related tasks. Anyway, things were going fine and then all of sudden my computer started to get..quite sluggish and unresponsive, often times while typing my pc will freeze and It will stop putting text on the screen, a few seconds later the text I typed would show. I just thought that It was because my drive was quite full and I was doing some rendering, I turned off my rig and the next morning it wouldn't boot. I transferred my drive to my brothers pc and his wont boot from my drive as well. I made the mistake of not backing up my data the day I planned and then my drive 'died'. as of right now I have lost 6+ months of 3d models, complex node setups for specific materials etc. I have also lost projects I was working on for a few clients. (the drive only lasted 6 friggen months) Lets skip over to this week now, I purchased the EXACT same drive (2tb Barracuda ST2000DM008, small I know but its all I can afford right now) and over the course of getting my pc setup again, I'm experiencing the same issues as before. Sluggish responses, slow boot times, inconsistent speed, irregular lockups and freezing, almost always 100% disk usage (even with the ethernet unplugged. I have updated all the drivers I could possibly think of, took out my ram and gpu and put them back in. nothing fixes this problem and so I am assuming its an issue with the drive. It seems like I am experiencing the symptoms of a failing drive progressively more. oh yes, I ran the windows test for fragmentation and the drive came back 20% when I didn't even have 200gb on it. I ran the Seagate drive analysis tool overnight and it came back with no results.

My pc specs
Prime X470-Pro
ryzen 7 3700x
32gb corsair vengeance
Corsair RM850x psu
rx580. (don't need a beefy gpu as I prefer a good cpu for rendering/simulations)

some screens of task manager
task manager

Solution
Backups need to happen the day you put the first bit of data on a drive.
And then every day thereafter.
For any important data, 6 months is inexcusable.

The fact that it didn't boot up in your brothers system does not mean it was dead, just that Windows does not like seeing different hardware.
It MIGHT be dead, but that was no indication either way.

If this has happened across two individual drives, I would suspect something other than the drives.

USAFRet

Titan

The fact that it didn't boot up in your brothers system does not mean it was dead, just that Windows does not like seeing different hardware.

If this has happened across two individual drives, I would suspect something other than the drives.

Solution
Apr 3, 2020

yeah I am aware haha. I was just too lazy to get everything backed up to an external drive. anyway I was just assuming it was dead, I still have the drive stored safely and I will try it on a few other computers that I have. (another location). Telling me that you think its not correlated directly to faulty drives does not help further my research into this issue. I do not know what else would contribute to these symptoms I have been experiencing. thank you for the quick reply though , I appreciate it.