Is my BSOD a motherboard problem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

So I've had quite a few different problems with my new computer since my brother helped me build it about a week ago. It crashed a handful of times the first day I used it. I would either be downloading windows updates or watching a stream or video-chatting on skype and it would hard lock and shut off, NOT bsod at this point. Often times I could log on and stay stable for hours if I was doing light internet browsing or even watching movies that weren't hd. It seemed if I watched something in HD, it would crash. I thought this might just be onboard graphics being bad, so when I got my 7870, I thought it would go away. It did not. It started BSOD'ing. I take my memory out and use one stick at a time with both sticks, still bsod. I took out my graphics card, and it still crashes, giving me a bsod. I assume it can't be the memory or the graphics card.

It's stumping me because I can be stable if I'm doing light usage on it. Sometimes it will crash before I get to the login screen. Sometimes it will randomly crash, or continue to crash on windows updates. It will ALWAYS crash when I do something with heavy usage, like updating my windows experience index - I always count on it crashing on that.

Is this the motherboard?

Solution
Beginning point - When you see the animated Windows that's the hand-off to the OS. I'd first carefully examine the Event Manager specifically the [+] Critical errors; see below. Next, I assume that you installed all of the latest Drivers listed for your OS and correct bit-size on Gigabyte's site - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4143#dl many of the newer drivers are a couple weeks old. Also, look in your Device Manager and make certain there are no unknown drivers {? or !} listed. Frankly there's nothing at all wrong re-installing all of the drivers. Make sure the RAM is installed in the same color DIMM slots, my preference with 2x_GB are the White DIMM slots. SATA use only the Z77 Intel SATA Ports

BIOS - First...

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
So, I reinstalled windows again, sticking it on the usb according to that video. I get on, and I have my graphics card plugged in this time. I download the driver for the graphics card. I update windows experience index since I've been using it as a sort of "test" in the beginning, and it crashed before I even bothered with any windows updates or anything else.

Am I stupid to base anything off of crashing on WEI or should I just never crash on that to begin with? The problem can't necessarily just be my graphics card, as like I said, I've crashed plenty without it.

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
BIOS is f9 out of the box. I've reinstalled windows almost a handful of times now; one of the times I reinstalled it without the graphics card in, I ran the WEI and it went through fine, but then later on I crashed on the windows update for the .net framework.

Edit: Misread what you said, I'll give it a shot. But even if it doesn't crash, I'm not sure what to glean from that if it's still crashing without the gpu.

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Tried to run WEI before I took out my gpu. It crashed a little under midway through, during something called the direct 3d ALU assessment. Took out the gpu, tried running the WEI again, and it crashed but gave me an error I never saw before. It stopped during the part where it was testing my storage, my harddrive I guess. It said the kernel logger was in use by another program or something to that effect; I didn't have time to read it because a few seconds later my computer blue screened.

Edit: It crashes on the part where it analyzes the cpu as well so I guess it doesn't matter as much to be exact with where it crashes during the WEI.

ffooby

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Jaquith! It's solved. It was an improperly installed cpu heatsink/fan. It was running too hot, I just didn't realize the temperatures were wrong/too high because I've never monitored temperatures before. Reseated the fan and put a little more thermal paste in, and there are no more crashes.

Thank you a ton for your responses and for trying to help.

TRENDING THREADS