is my budget rig ok for bf4?

halloweenie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
hi all,

i'm new to this website so sorry if i'm doing anything wrong.

i was just wondering if this rig is ok to play bf4 at low/medium at 40-60 fps?

CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: GeForce GTX 650 OC 2gb
PSU: FPS Raider 550W
MoBo: ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2
HDD: 1TB WD
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL - 8GB DDR3

I only had 700 dollars and it was the best i could come up with where i am located, also could somebody please tell me if the motherboard and the RAM are compatible? i'm new to PC building as well and i'm not too sure.

thanks guys.

gtx 650 is not a good buy for that money...
you need a better graphics card if you really want to enjoy the game...
at least something like gtx 650 Ti boost edition : will do med/high in full-hd resolution most likely...

i would also recommend a beter quality power supply...
if you can get something like seasonic G 450w or xfx core edition pro...

for the mobo get at least this one , if you can get it:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_EVO_R20/

and what about the case , do you have one already?

Can you please link the prices or send the link of the store you are buying from. We might suggest you something better. I mean that is very bad config for playing BF4. It would be painful experience to play BF4 on that card.

halloweenie

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
sorry all, ill give a lot more detail.

i am trying to purchase everything from pc case gear, as it is the cheapest website that i have found. (currently residing in victoria, australia)

the case that i am getting is a Thermaltake Black Commander MS-III Mid Tower Case because it fits well into the budget at 700 dollars. the motherboard that you suggested dark globe doesnt seem to be on there and the gpu upgrade you suggested sorta knocked me out of my budget.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php

Well.. for that price, this build is much better in terms of gaming performance :

+ Nvidia 660 kills the 650. (660 > 650 Ti Boost > 650 Ti > 650)
+ 8GB 1600Mhz RAM, CL9 ideal for gaming

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($85.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($235.00 @ Scorptec)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $714.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-18 18:39 EST+1000)

It is much better for the price. Just a little above the budget, but prices in Australia are way too much.

Take a look at the build and tell me what you think about it. Your feedback would be highly appreciated.

gtx 650Ti boost is about 10% slower than gtx660 , give or take a little...
but i really advice not to save money on the mobo...
FX processors are not very power efficient
good quality mobo with solid heatsinked VRM will make it easier and safer for you to overclock it
along with a good cpu heatsink of course...

You can see the difference and it is clearly way much more than 10 percent.

Also it is not only about performance. It is about class. The 660 is on the same class/level as the 7870 which is considered as the least you need to enthusiast level gaming. So, with 660 games would be much more better.

Anyways here is the difference between the two :

bKzYuCc.png

I do not make up things in air. I back up my claims with proofs to support them.

So this pretty much concludes the 650 Ti Boost vs 660 Debate.

fasterbetter

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
if you are not going to overclock anything then i would suggest you so save a bit and get a 450/500W PSU. i have seen a friend of mine using gtx 650(non ti) with a 350W PSU.As long as the quality of psu is good,lower watts are ok. but cheap psu's deliver much less power than they claim and they also lead to many problems(low fps,abrupt shutdowns,etc) hope this helps.

you just picked a few benchmarks that fall into your scenario...

Excuse me? What do you mean by that? You should not say things like these. I am completely unbiased.

I did not picked any particular scores. I just opened the comparison page at http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-660-vs-GeForce-GTX-650-Ti-Boost and just took a pic of it and made no modifications to it. You can see. I posted all the scores I was got from there. So there is nothing like that you are saying.

Please be friendly and use good phrases which might not hurt anyone.

Have a nice day :)