[SOLVED] Is my build bottlenecking?

Dec 2, 2019
I am planning to build a PC just before Christmas as a Christmas present for myself, this is my first ever PC build so I am relatively new to this and would like some advice.

1. are my GPU and CPU too powerful for the rest of my system, am I bottlenecking?
  2. is there any further advice you would give me with the build

Thank you for your help and as a side note this is my absolute top budget and I live in New Zealand where parts can be expensive and scarce to come across.

Thank you :)

The build: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/GCNQzy

Solution
Most B450 boards need a bios update yes and most MSI boards have flashback, a feature to update bios without a cpu installed. Your board doesn't have flashback that i can see however MSI released their MAX series B450 boards supporting Zen2 out of the box.

PCpartpicker is just covering general basis, warning that some B450 need an update.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've gone through it and looked at psu and case, everything else looks good. It's a shame price is mountains higher than those Yankies.

Psu is budget worthy but not the best. Anything better is 100$ more.

Case doesn't include front intake fans so do buy some to have air flow to cool.

Dec 2, 2019
I've gone through it and looked at psu and case, everything else looks good. It's a shame price is mountains higher than those Yankies.

Psu is budget worthy but not the best. Anything better is 100$ more.

Case doesn't include front intake fans so do buy some to have air flow to cool.

Hi, thank you for your response :)

With the front intake fans, where can I find these assuming you are kiwi. Are they possible to put on my PCpartpicker build? How easy are they to install?

Sorry for all these questions I just want to make sure I get everything right as a new builder :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
assuming you are kiwi
Not exactly, im a close neighbour.

Case supports 2x 120mm front fans
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/MasterBox-Series/masterbox-lite-3-1.html

List here to narrow down.

Fans would connect to system fan headers on the motherboard. There are splitter cables available if don't have enough headers. Look through the motherboard online manual for motherboard layout to determine if you need splitter cables. Amazon or even a local pc store should have these available.

Dec 2, 2019
Not exactly, im a close neighbour.

Case supports 2x 120mm front fans
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/MasterBox-Series/masterbox-lite-3-1.html

List here to narrow down.

Fans would connect to system fan headers on the motherboard. There are splitter cables available if don't have enough headers. Look through the motherboard online manual for motherboard layout to determine if you need splitter cables. Amazon or even a local pc store should have these available.

Haha, I can't imagine it will be too much cheaper across the Tasman anyway :D

Thank you so much for your help in picking the fan and how to install it. I chose a cheap $20 fan which should do the trick (I hope) since I am on a tight budget right now.

Cheers for the help :)

Dec 2, 2019
Np man all the best. Let us know how you go with it all.

Hey, one more thing - It seems the 2600X has ran out of stock here for a wee while :(

Will buying just the simple 2600 be that much detrimental to my performance? Will I still be able to play AAA games like cyberpunk at similar framerates?

Thanks again.

Dec 2, 2019
I'm back, again - sorry.

When I add the new ryzen 3600 to my PCpartpickerl ist it comes up with this warning

Warning! Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Is this anything to worry about, will I need to do anything extra?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most B450 boards need a bios update yes and most MSI boards have flashback, a feature to update bios without a cpu installed. Your board doesn't have flashback that i can see however MSI released their MAX series B450 boards supporting Zen2 out of the box.

PCpartpicker is just covering general basis, warning that some B450 need an update.

Solution
Dec 2, 2019
Your welcome and youre not being an annoyance at all, im happy to help.

Hi, it's me again

I have made a new build and since you were so helpful with my previous build idea I was wondering what your thoughts would be on this one.

The case has 2 fans and I was wondering if that was enough to keep sufficient airflow without the need for additional fans. Also, is the Motherboard good enough for the CPU, etc? I was told it wasn't that good by somebody but the person who recommended the build to me seemed to know his stuff.

Thank you so much

the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sfNQzy

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Case is a reversed motherboard tray design. Anandtech reckons it performs really well.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10650/the-corsair-carbide-600q-case-review

The motherboard is good but compatibility for 3600 would be a hit or miss depending how recent it came from the manufacturer with the updated bios. May need to get the bios updated with a 1st/2nd gen Ryzen from a PC service centre if motherboard is old stock. Should say Ryzen 3rd gen ready on the box.

Msi released their MAX series motherboards supporting 3rd gen out of the box.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jcYQzy/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max

Dec 2, 2019
Yes, on PB tech it says the motherboard supports 3rd gen ryzen - I contacted them also to double-check (hopefully they get back)

I want to get a motherboard with wifi however because of how far away my LAN or whatever it's called will be from my PC :)

Would you recommend upgrading for an extra $30 to the full sized version of the motherboard?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hoping PB Tech are honest then and not just marketing because most b450 boards support 3rd gen with the appropriate bios version.

Difference in form factors is generally how many pcie, dimm and m2 slots. If you're happy with features smaller boards offer then i see no reason to go full.

Regarding wifi, can always get a usb dongle.

Dec 2, 2019
Yes, I would hope so, I could probably try to bring it into a PC store as they seem like they would be friendly to help anyway lol.

I might just stick with the mini anyway since the only store that sells the larger size says it might not arrive before Christmas. Thanks for the help